Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking. >

The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
I'd love to buy locally made, but most of our manufacturing firms have been sold to the US or UK - including our Vegemite and UGG Boots!. The other day I looked at biscuits, and they were manufactured in Indonesia and Fiji. Trying to buy locally made here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. 95% are owned by overseas conglomerates. And don't even mention the call centres which all seem to be operated from India, and staffed by Indians and who can't speak English.
Not much different in America.

I know there is a few websites in America that state which products are made in America. I know that Companies are feeling some of the pinch from people irritated about CSR.

one of the tricks to getting a CSR(Customer Service rep) locally is to keep asking for a supervisor. Eventually you will find someone.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Not much different in America.

I know there is a few websites in America that state which products are made in America. I know that Companies are feeling some of the pinch from people irritated about CSR.

one of the tricks to getting a CSR(Customer Service rep) locally is to keep asking for a supervisor. Eventually you will find someone.[/quote]

Tried that, all they keep saying is "I no understand what you mean". Half an hour later I just hang up, and wonder just how much that one way conversation has cost me.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM

By the by....Stampin UP products seem a little pricey but they are worth the price, the results are never disappointing. The same goes with fabric. Like my Mom always said "you are never sorry when you buy quality". I would buy fewer yards or pieces to have a better quality. I just love a true bargain.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 PM

I have written about the average prices in OZ before, but would also like to add that the cheaper prices here, for similar looking fabric, is for the test runs that the manufacturer does on cheap fabric before they iron out all the bugs and start printing it on good quality stuff. The extra price could account for the fact that it often goes to the U.S. from Asia first, gets re - bolted and then sold on to us.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
joy

prices for the new fat quarter fabrics in new zealand are around the $7.50 mark... and materials can range from $25 per metre to about $36.00 per metre... one quilt I made for a granddaughter was just over $500.00 and that includes paying for the quilting... can't do that too often...
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
joy

If you have read the previous message, that quilt was a queen size...
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Sometimes we just don't have a choice depending on where you live and what you want. Personally I either do the mail order thing or wait till I get to the city which is a 8 - 14 hr. drive depending on which direction I travel (north or south)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 PM

After reading the first page I feel so humble, and grateful for all I have.
** HUGS ** to all you. Bless you for you creativity, ingenuity, and persistence to continue in your craft, hobby,
and quilting. You all share so much.
Although you all live so far away. You all inspire me.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I don't know about Australia and UK but I know that just recently, the US dollar was right in line with the Canadian dollar. So other than the outrageous taxes they pay I can't imagine why it is SO much higher there. I'm a Stampin' Up demonstrator and the prices in the Canadian catalog are insane compared to the US prices.

When we were in Canada we ate at a McDonalds and for the 5 of us, it was over $30. In the US it's usually around $15-$17.
Darlin, what Micky D's were you at in the US? We pay about 7 per person in Oregon. Depending what you have of course. Are half of those happy meals? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I'm just guessing here but it seems that someone overseas could order lots of fabric from say Hancock's of Paducah as a customer sell it for $2 over the cost per yard over what it cost them and sell it out of their home and make a profit. Travel to guilds/groups in the area and sell it to sewers.
One problem is that the larger the order, the more likely you'll be caught for customs and VAT. Smaller orders have a better chance of slipping through unnoticed.

Long ago a friend of a friend used to sell fabric her husband would bring her back from business trips to the US. She charged just over her cost, but you had to be a friend and have the same taste in fabrics as herself!

Fabric.com does ship internationally, as do many of the other online sites like Fabric Depot, Hancocks of Paducah, Keepsake Quilting, Erica's (those are just some I've used over the years). Global Priority envelopes used to slide through most frequently and I sometimes had an order in less than a week! Those were the good days before money was such an issue, LOL.

Now I mainly do mini's, table runners, wallhangings or lap quilts (which are quilted on to a fleece blanket instead of batting and backing, which saves a LOT of money!)
If I came over with fabric for my friends, would that be taxable? If I am bringing it for myself, is that taxable?

We have not decided which country we will be flying into, but do all countries (England, Ireland, France) tax things I, a US citizen, would bring in for my personal use or for gifts for my quilter friends. Is there an amount you can bring in without being taxed. In the US you can bring back $600 worth of merchandie without being taxed.

I am asking a lot of questions because I don't see how they can tax me on personal property I'm bringing in. This may be a quilting vacation for me.

This upsets me that a few yards are likely to be taxed.
You will go through customs when you arrive. You usually have the choice to go through the anything to declare or the nothing to declare channels. However, they do spot checks. I am not sure of the import rules but will do some research for you and pm you if that is ok?

Have a wonderful trip