Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking. >
  • The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

• The recent topic of do you pay over x amount has gotten me to thinking.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan8
    Originally Posted by deltadawn
    I have paid over £13-00 per metre which according to todays exchange rate equals about $20.00. So when I read of you picking up bargains at less than $5.00 - I'm a little green with envy.............can you forgive me?!!!
    I just want to cry. It would be so nice to get matieral for thw US price. It must be the postal charge to get it to the UK shops that inceases our prices so much.!!
    I wonder about a possible solution. Let me explain.

When I started sending some health-related goodies (Vitamin A, Coenzyme Q, etc.) from the USA to my aging mother in Germany the custom's authorities (and authoritative they are indeed) confiscated US$400.00 worth of merchandise. Outch! Then they threatened me if you can believe that (maybe I was trying to poison my mother with medication that was not allowed in Germany). The supervising office interrupted that insanity.

I am no giver-upper (especially when somebody threatens me). So now I am sending her the same stuff from a British company. The customs authorities check only stuff from "third countries". The goodies are even slightly cheaper in the UK.

Couldn't you find an American fabric manufacturer with a domicile in a cheaper European country?

BTW, I do not pay additional VAT on the goodies I send to my mother in Germany from the UK (I live in the USA). Nobody seems to do any checking. The UK company handles many international orders.
    Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I know of one British fabric company: Makower UK. http://www.makoweruk.com

If having a business located in the UK makes a difference in the prices, then maybe we can find a clue.

UK quilters, how does the price of Makower fabrics compare with the US brands? Over here, Andover Fabrics sells the Makower brand, and they are both priced the same. Timeless Treasures and Michael Miller fabrics are about the same price here too. What about over there?
    Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM

I have found an LQS that charges reasonably when I factor in shipping, handling and sometimes customs. I say sometimes because it isn't always charged and I'm trying to find out which is correct. We were told for many years that the costs were different because of the US/Can dollar rates, but we've been at near par for so long it shouldn't be a factor. We had a big backlash about magazines here and retailers smartened up, but to be fair to them, they are often charged more per yard than the retail price at American discount stores. When you Americans complain about $7 a yard fabric, I'm really envious!
    Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Janebird
    I have found an LQS that charges reasonably when I factor in shipping, handling and sometimes customs. I say sometimes because it isn't always charged and I'm trying to find out which is correct. We were told for many years that the costs were different because of the US/Can dollar rates, but we've been at near par for so long it shouldn't be a factor. We had a big backlash about magazines here and retailers smartened up, but to be fair to them, they are often charged more per yard than the retail price at American discount stores. When you Americans complain about $7 a yard fabric, I'm really envious!
    Would you be envious if, in addition to paying $7/yd for fabric, you also had to pay $1000/month for basic healthcare? (that's what I'm paying in the US for my insurance and deductable - self-employed, here).
    Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

If having a business located in the UK makes a difference in the prices, then maybe we can find a clue.

UK quilters, how does the price of Makower fabrics compare with the US brands? Over here, Andover Fabrics sells the Makower brand, and they are both priced the same. Timeless Treasures and Michael Miller fabrics are about the same price here too. What about over there?
    My LQS carries Makower and the price is the pretty much the same as the other brand names - Thimbleberries, etc..
    Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I suppose I should pop in here and mention something that has been said before but is worth repeating.

This is true for Canada and quite likely for other countries as well.

If buying from a US-based online shop, be sure that your fabric will be shipped by USPS (the Post Office), not FedEx or UPS. The reason is that you may be assessed large brokerage fees if dealing with FedEx or UPS.

Be advised too that the flat-rate envelopes commonly used for international shipping are NOT trackable when sent by USPS Priority Mail International. Packages sent by UPS, FedEx, or Express Mail ARE trackable. My perception is that most people assume that all packages are trackable and it just isn't so.
    Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

About $20 a metre over here. Jelly Rolls about £25 I think that is about$35 I think.
    Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    Would you be envious if, in addition to paying $7/yd for fabric, you also had to pay $1000/month for basic healthcare? (that's what I'm paying in the US for my insurance and deductable - self-employed, here).
    We have to pay in insurance all our working lives but I do not know how it equates to what you pay. We could make this equation for many things, your car fuel is considerably cheaper than ours. but surely it doesn't matter what it all costs we have to pay it anyway, there must be good and bad things on both sides. it feels to me as if what started as a general discussion is getting a little unpleasant, I am very uncomfortable with the way this is going. I do not want to be part of this anymore.
    Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Oh, health care isn't an issue I should get started on. Suffice to say that I can't imagine adding the concern of payment to all the stress an illness causes. My sister in Virginia has just been through breast cancer and has extemely good coverage but is still out of pocket for a lot of money. Forget what I said about envy!
    Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Oh, health care isn't an issue I should get started on. Suffice to say that I can't imagine adding the concern of payment to all the stress an illness causes. My sister in Virginia has just been through breast cancer and has extemely good coverage but is still out of pocket for a lot of money. Forget what I said about envy!
    As does my eldest daughter, and I am waiting to see if I have Kidney cancer. it certainly puts things into perspective. This board helps more than you can all realise. Thank you to all of you.