View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
MNM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by UglyCook
Originally Posted by brendadawg
I have found that if I don't cut up the front before I put the fabric on, it holds the shape better. I cut off the bottom ribbing, sleeve ribbing, and then cut up the side and sleeve. I leave the neck ribbing on until I've finished. I cut the neck ribbing off, as well as cutting up the center front after I've finished all the "patchwork", and put binding on neck, front, and bottom. I usually put a cuff/border on the sleeve so I can turn up the sleeves a little bit. A lady came to our quilt guild and did a workshop on these shirts. On some of them, she left the neck ribbing on, and put the bottom ribbing back on and didn't cut them up the front -- and her husband wears some of them. The ones she showed us were just gorgeous. I'll see if I can find some pictures and post them later.
That totally makes sense to hold off on cutting the center. I'll try it that way next time. Can't wait to see your pics.
I've also seen this same method used but using Bargello strips instead. Makes a very striking jacket but I haven't had time to try it yet.
What a wonderful tute you gave us. Thanks so much.
Just had to jump in here and say that I made some of the shirts with bargello but only down the front and not the sleeves. They are beautiful, have sold many at our Holiday Fair.
This was a great tute, very easy to follow you must be a teacher. Where did you get that name uglycook?? It makes me sad when I see that. I hope it is a funny story. MNM