Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to Make an Easy Patchwork Jacket >

How to Make an Easy Patchwork Jacket

How to Make an Easy Patchwork Jacket

Old 06-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Start by choosing a sweatshirt that's a little too big. An old sweatshirt is fine, even with a design on it. I chose a sweatshirt a size bigger than I normally wear.

Lay the sweatshirt out nice and flat, front side up.

Lay a ruler across it and mark the center between the sleeves, at the armpits and near the bottom.

Turn the ruler so that it is along all three marks and draw a line down the center of the sweatshirt.

Now slide a cutting board between the front and back (so you don't accidentally cut the back) and cut the front open along the line.

Here are the three places I marked the center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81791[/ATTACH]

Then I drew a line down the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81792[/ATTACH]

Here is the front cut open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81786.jpe   attachment-81787.jpe   attachment-81788.jpe  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Cut the ribbing off the bottom edge. You can take out the stitching if you want to, but I just cut it off.

I am very lazy about cutting the ribbing off the sleeves, I just push a ruler up against the seam and run a rotary cutter along it.

Cutting off the bottom ribbing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81795[/ATTACH]

Using a rotary cutter to cut off the ribbing on the sleeve (I don't really cut like that! I just held it for the picture)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81796[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81790.jpe   attachment-81791.jpe  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Find the crease line on the side, under the sleeve. It's always been nice and straight for me and I just cut up to the seam on it. I have also used sweatshirts that have a seam down the side that can be cut open.

Cut open the sleeve, either with a rotary cutter, scissors, or by removing the threads.

Than you have a big, floppy, chopped up rag.

The side crease
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81800[/ATTACH]

Cutting the sleeve seam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81801[/ATTACH]

Sweatshirt cut open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81802[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81795.jpe   attachment-81796.jpe   attachment-81797.jpe  
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Now you need at least 5 fabrics. I'm having a blue day so chose these from my stash. I always llike to use one with a wee bit of glitter or shine. You need half yards or two fat quarters if you are using 5 fabrics.

A variety of patterns and lights and darks helps. The first jacket I made was really bright with primary colors. The one for my mother in law was more toned downs in greens, browns and golds.

Press the fabrics and stack them in as many layers as you like to cut.

My blue choices
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81803[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81798.jpe  
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 PM

You will need approx. 8 inches WOF for the binding, or you can use packaged binding.

A couple of the fabrics I chose are 2 yard pieces so I chose one for the binding.

Now it's time to just cut the fabric into random pieces. I just use triangles, rectangles and squares. I stacked 3 folded fabrics (6 layers) and cut 3 different width strips. I think they were 2 inches, 3.5 inches, and about 5 inches. I then cut the strips into smaller shapes. Next, I'll do the other 3 fabrics I chose. I don't necessarily cut it all right now, I can always cut more later if I need it, but I like to have a big pile to start with.

My first 3 fabrics cut into shapes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81815[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81810.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Once all of your pieces are cut, just toss them in a pile in on the table. Ok, if you MUST, you can organize them.

Lay a section of the jacket out flat and select random pieces of cut fabric. Spray the pieces lightly with a temporary adhesive and place them on the jacket. I start in the front at the bottom, but there is no particular reason to do this. Do try to get the pieces pretty close to the edges, even hanging over is ok, you can trim them later. Resist the urge to make everything straight!

Putting pieces on the sweatshirt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82566.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 06:55 PM

Now for thread. You need lots. I used nearly 600 meters on the brown jacket. The variegated was very nice, but I'm using one of my big embroidery spools this time so I don't have to worry about running out.

Bobbin thread: The bobbin thread will show anytime the jacket is open, so keep that in mind. I am sewing on a dark blue sweatshirt and I don't want to have to keep winding blue bobbins so I am going to use black prewounds.

You can stitch the edges with a simple zig zag, or you can use decorative stitches. I did my very first jacket using an irridescent thread (which broke often) and lots of fancy stitches. You really couldn't see the fancy stitches very well and it was quite hard to maneuver around all of the corners so now I just stick with a zig zag.

Hmmm, which thread do I want to use?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82573[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82568.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Ok, I decided on the medium blue thread. I set my zig zag stitch length at 1.0. There will be some fraying so I wanted the stitching to contain it somewhat.

I start by running a straight stitch around the outside edges, there's no need for zigzagging since those edges will be either in the seam or under the binding.

Be careful not to stretch the sweatshirt while you are stitching the pieces on.

I straight stitch along the sides of any pieces on an outside edge that won't show
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82595[/ATTACH]

Here's what my zig zag stitches look like
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82590.jpe   attachment-82591.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Now, just keep adding pieces and sewing them on until the entire jacket is covered.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

What a great tute. Thanks.