Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Jo Belmont

Originally Posted by newestnana
Jo, do you use the same thread on the bobbin?

Thanks for all this great information!

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
I have learned a somewhat different technique (and consequently, I think, a much better look) for machine quilting:

First of all, use a TOPSTITCH NEEDLE. Schmetz labels "Topstitch" right on the cards holding packets of needles. They come in different sizes. I use a 12. The difference is that the topstitch needles have a larger hole which is made to accommodate a bit heavier thread --- it's that heavier thread which also makes the difference. They are also very sharp and penetrate the several layers quite nicely.

The THREAD is often sold as just that, "Topstitch", but technically, it (at least the Coats & Clark that I use) is labeled "HEAVY," but there is no gauge shown. It is similar to hand quilting weight thread but without the stiffness of the glace/wax. It is 100% polyester and as with most threads, comes in gorgeous colors. PLEASE NOTE: IT IS NOT THE "HEAVY" ONE THINKS OF FOR BUTTONHOLES, ETC. --- the buttonhole thread is so labeled. I usually use regular weight thread in the bobbin, but the heavy could be used as well (it just would wind less on the bobbin because of its thickness).

Next, when starting/stopping a line of quilting, I hold back on the fabric so that I get a double or triple stitch in one place which is a good lock without the forward/back overstitch look. The length of stitch I use is pretty close to 10-12 per inch and gives a nice look while still being very secure. (Run a line of stitching on a scrap and count stitches until you find your machine number which yields the correct number per inch. With a walking foot, the stitches should remain about the same, but adjust if needed.)

Summarily: A topstitch needle and heavy thread stitching out at 10-12 stitches per inch.

Hope this helps.
As to which thread I use in the bobbin, it depends on what I want the back to look like. Often, I will indeed use the heavier thread in the bobbin, but be aware that it will need to be reloaded more often (not as much on the bobbin as it's heavier). However, many backings lend themselves to a neutral color regular weight thread while the top looks better with the heavier application. It's great fun to try the different approaches.

Live outside the box; it's a great adventure!