View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Berta48

Originally Posted by hazeljane
The little Gracie is a frame. I have the Grace GMQ, ( a different frame made by the Grace company)

The frame itself does not have a laser light unless you purchase it. And then, you have to manually move the machine over the pattern.

Also, you have to buy at least a mid-arm machine to go on it, in order for it to be effective. I bought the package I have, which is a GMQ frame, the stitch regulator and a Juki 98Q for about $2200. I do not have the laser light for pantographs. I just use my own free motion designs, as I am still learning too. I recently bought a couple of stencils and pounce pads but have not tried them yet.

Berta- You might see if there is anyone near you who has a similar set up or a shop in your area with one set up, that can give you an idea of what you might need. I find FMQ so much easier with the frame- I sucked at it using just my machine, though I did practice for a couple of years before upgrading. If you are new to quilting, make sure this is what you want, because it is a big investment.

Good luck.
Hazel Jane
Thanks for the info.I was afraid of that.However I am trying free motion quilting too. Also I bought some paper rolls with the designs on it and you sew over the designs then tear away the paper like stitch N tear. I haven't recieved it yet but I am really looking forward to getting it and trying it. It has adhesive strips to hold the paper down.I got it at www.keepsakequilting.com

I paid that much for my Janome sewing / embroidery machine. So to me it would be worth it.But I feel if I can't FMQ how could I do the quilting with a frame?

What would one cost that does the quilting without me and the name?