Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Machine Little Gracie. >

Quilting Machine Little Gracie.

Quilting Machine Little Gracie.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 PM

I am wondering about the little gracie.Do you have to buy a bunch of different items for it?Or does it all come together? Also do you have to guide the light for the pattern or does it go by itself?

It seems to me every time I get interested in something you have to purchase a zillion other items along with it.

I am new to quilting and like to make baby quilts and wall hangings and lap covers and etc. I am trying to learn FMQ. But man that is hard. I guess I will figure out something one of these days. Thanks ladies and gents for any info you may have for me. :D :thumbup:
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 AM

The little Gracie is a frame. I have the Grace GMQ, ( a different frame made by the Grace company)

The frame itself does not have a laser light unless you purchase it. And then, you have to manually move the machine over the pattern.

Also, you have to buy at least a mid-arm machine to go on it, in order for it to be effective. I bought the package I have, which is a GMQ frame, the stitch regulator and a Juki 98Q for about $2200. I do not have the laser light for pantographs. I just use my own free motion designs, as I am still learning too. I recently bought a couple of stencils and pounce pads but have not tried them yet.

Berta- You might see if there is anyone near you who has a similar set up or a shop in your area with one set up, that can give you an idea of what you might need. I find FMQ so much easier with the frame- I sucked at it using just my machine, though I did practice for a couple of years before upgrading. If you are new to quilting, make sure this is what you want, because it is a big investment.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I have a Grace frame and a Juki machine. I ordered the machine first and loved it by itself for quilting. Then I wanted the Grace frame. It was easy to put together (but was time consuming. ) I love the machine on the frame.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
The little Gracie is a frame. I have the Grace GMQ, ( a different frame made by the Grace company)

The frame itself does not have a laser light unless you purchase it. And then, you have to manually move the machine over the pattern.

Also, you have to buy at least a mid-arm machine to go on it, in order for it to be effective. I bought the package I have, which is a GMQ frame, the stitch regulator and a Juki 98Q for about $2200. I do not have the laser light for pantographs. I just use my own free motion designs, as I am still learning too. I recently bought a couple of stencils and pounce pads but have not tried them yet.

Berta- You might see if there is anyone near you who has a similar set up or a shop in your area with one set up, that can give you an idea of what you might need. I find FMQ so much easier with the frame- I sucked at it using just my machine, though I did practice for a couple of years before upgrading. If you are new to quilting, make sure this is what you want, because it is a big investment.

Good luck.
Hazel Jane
Thanks for the info.I was afraid of that.However I am trying free motion quilting too. Also I bought some paper rolls with the designs on it and you sew over the designs then tear away the paper like stitch N tear. I haven't recieved it yet but I am really looking forward to getting it and trying it. It has adhesive strips to hold the paper down.I got it at www.keepsakequilting.com

I paid that much for my Janome sewing / embroidery machine. So to me it would be worth it.But I feel if I can't FMQ how could I do the quilting with a frame?

What would one cost that does the quilting without me and the name?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I have a Grace frame and a Juki machine. I ordered the machine first and loved it by itself for quilting. Then I wanted the Grace frame. It was easy to put together (but was time consuming. ) I love the machine on the frame.
Thanks for responding. I saw one at a quilt shop once but I didn't really inquire about it much.Is it as hard to do the quilting as FMQ is?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 AM

You can get a machine with a robotic quilting system--it will cost you a good penny. And you'll still have to be involved as far a rolling the quilt on the frame, setting the parameters, etc. I have the Little Gracie II, Juki TL98Q and the Qbot robotic system. It will do quilting, but you still are needed, as I said above. Free motion quilting is much easier on a frame, though, as you are moving the machine, not the quilt. It takes practice, but it is fun and satisfying to do.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ginaky
You can get a machine with a robotic quilting system--it will cost you a good penny. And you'll still have to be involved as far a rolling the quilt on the frame, setting the parameters, etc. I have the Little Gracie II, Juki TL98Q and the Qbot robotic system. It will do quilting, but you still are needed, as I said above. Free motion quilting is much easier on a frame, though, as you are moving the machine, not the quilt. It takes practice, but it is fun and satisfying to do.
Thanks for the info sounds like I just will have to be happy with what I have. :D We are on SS and have to budget and don't think that much money is in our budget.That much money would sure take us to a lot of places. :lol: