View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Longarm

I do longarm quilting and occasionally make a quilt to order, I also keep some on hand that I have made if someone wants to buy something or to see samples of my quilting.

I very seldom sell quilts because most people won't pay the $300. and up that it costs to make a full size, or larger, quilt. I should also state that I only use quilt shop fabric, no JoAnn's or Walmart. So even though I do the quilting myself I still have a bundle in fabric without considering my labor.

I recently quilted a (queen size) top for a customer and she said she was asking $750.00 if anyone wanted to buy it. She said that she had that much money in the fabric, batting, backing and quilting plus a very little for her time. Again no JoAnn's or Walmart fabric.

Of course when people see ads selling quilts at $39.95 or slightly more they think they are being ripped off by those of us who use only quality fabrics and put a lot of time and effort into making a quality product that will last for generations and not fall apart the first time it is washed. They have't checked out the price of fabric which is $10.00 a yard, or more, and a small spool of good thread starts at about $3.00 and I don't know how anyone piece a quilt top with one spool of thread.

So tell this person "NO" unless she is willing to pay for all materials, the quilting and your time and I don't mean sweatshop wages of .50 cents an hour.

Good luck.

Longarm