View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by quilter711
This is just amazing. I can't imagine what you will be doing for FMQ when you become an expert. Please share with us if you are using a long arm. My practice pieces look nothing like this on my home sewing machine. Wonder if you could do a tutorial?

Thanks for sharing,
Quilter711
Nancy, My first practice pieces did NOT look anything like this either! :lol: (The cat is sleeping on them now...) No longarm; I am quilting on a Juki 98tl and just love it--moving the quilt, not the machine. It's hard to get a big quilt in it, but not impossible if you are determined enough!

I started with an afternoon class about a year ago and have been taking advantage of learning from a few books and videos since then. The first book/DVD I got was from Karen McTavish; she is fun to watch, and her Minnesota accent reminds me of home. Recently I got 2 of Sharon Schamber's beginning feathering DVDs and have learned a lot from her. Her sandwiching and basting technique is "the bomb". I've also watched a lot of quilting on youtube. And read everything I can find on the web. I just love Leah Day's 365 days of quilting on the web as a resource for ideas and new things to try.

It seems that everyone has a slightly different technique that works for them. You have to take the parts that work for you and use them. And, practice, practice, practice! First I draw the designs with paper and pencil several times to get a feel for them; then I try them out on practice samples that are only 16 or 18" square so they are relatively easy to maneuver. Then, when I'm satisfied with what I have, I try it on the real thing. It's definitely "a process" for me. I've done a couple of baby quilts and an twin size so far, as well as some quilted bags for my granddaughters and some placemats for the table.

I've got a couple of twin-sized throws pieced that I'm almost brave enough to start quilting on this fall. The biggest challenge I have right now is figuring out what motifs/designs to use to compliment the patchwork (and that I can actually sew successfully).

There are tons of amazingly talented quilters on this site, and I feel l privileged to benefit from the knowledge and skills they share!

And the best tip from a video? Karen McTavish said to "have a glass of wine!" I'm not sure if my FMQ is better for it, but it sure makes it more fun!!! :lol: