Thread: Home Ec Class
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM
pab58

Originally Posted by Minnesewta
My home-ec teacher introduced me to quilting 30+ years ago. She was my mentor in more ways than one. Here are some suggestions for the sewing part of the program.

** Teach her how to shorten a garmet...pants, dress, etc.
** How to use a store bought pattern...mark darts, match dots, etc.
** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
** Different fabric types
** How to install a zipper or snaps or velcro
Good Luck!
Yep!!! That all sounds very familiar to me!!! But my first home ec class was about 40 years ago!!! :roll: My class was divided into four parts: 1=sewing 2=needlearts such as knitting, embroidery (by hand), and crocheting 3=cooking 4=child care. I can't remember if it was during the 2nd or 4th part where we also learned about proper grooming (ourselves, not animals :lol: ) and etiquette. To this day I NEVER brush my hair or put on make-up in public!!! :lol: :lol: I can still hear my lovely teacher telling us that it wasn't the proper thing to do. :wink: Our first sewing project was a coin purse that had a snap closure. We then made a tote bag, and after that we made a skirt. I chose not to make a mini or a midi so I made a maxi -- remember those?? Boy, does that take me back!! I still have the coin purse and the maxi skirt (and the Simplicity pattern). I keep them in my cedar chest. :wink: