Thread: Home Ec Class
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
purplemem

I had never touched a sewing machine, etc., until Home Ec. I learned how to make a skirt (I had to buy a pattern, insert a zipper, make a buttonhole and sew on the button, hem by hand and use the blind stitch), make a book bag or purse with zipper, and make any other garment we chose (I picked a t-shirt top).

For cooking, we had one day of cookies, baked and no-bake and one day of a complete meal. We researched recipes, drew up a grocery list (after consulting in the cabinet), and shopped with a specific amount of money. We cooked the complete meal with appetizer or salad, main course with two sides, a bread, and a dessert. We then had to do the dishes and clean the kitchen, including the floor!

They were good lessons I've used to this day. All of them.

We did learn "proper" grooming and how to sit and bend gracefully, walk like a lady, and voice control.

We learned how to make potholders with a loom and sew the edges to stop from raveling. We learned crochet (basic stitches) and knitting. All 3 of these I was doing well before 10.

I was cooking by 8 or 9, my dh was cooking at about 7. I taught my children to cook from scratch at around 10. All of us were responsible for 1 meal a week, 3 kids, dh and self. One night we got pizza, and one night was sandwiches. We had some awful meals but we survived.