View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
amma
Power Poster

I use 1-2 rolls of paper towels a month... is this worse than the extra laundry: electricity, soap, hot water, cold water I would use to wash and dry a 1/2 load of cleaning rags each month?

I know paper towels go to the landfill... but when I had a compost pile I would throw most of them out there and they composted pretty quickly.

I also would run most all of my recylclable paper through the shredder and put it out there too instead of in the trash... but what about the electricity I used to do this? And what environmental harm is there in producing these shredders? What harm are they causing when they hit the landfills?

Some natural products are poison too... Chrysanthemums are processed and used as pesticides... can't get much more natural than that... so I wonder how good some of the "green" products really are for the environment? Will they find a long term effect from the heavy use of some of the components of these green products?

I don't buy a lot of meat anymore... but I do wish they could come up with something other than styrofoam for the packaging... Would it be better to use a heavier plastic to wrap the meat in? Or would that be almost as bad as the styrofoam? So confusing....

It gets confusing over what is better for the environment...

I am not knocking going green, or the use of "green" products... I am just thinking that if we don't over use disposables, or any cleaning products, use common sense when running appliances and electronics, and recycle when it is feasible, we will be making a difference :D:D:D