Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Okay -- I'm supposed to be sewing, but I have HGTV on and listening to it. An ad just came on for appliances that can save you $2500.00 over a 5 yr period --- WOW!!! ENERGY saving!!! WOW!!! Okay - let's break that down....$2500. divided by 5 yrs = $500. a year savings ... $500. a year breaks down to $41.00 a month. SOOOOO go out, buy a new appliance, dump the old one in the landfill or a recycling place, and save $41.00 a month. No mention of the original cost, no mention of the ENERGY expended to MAKE the appliance! Am I missing something here? DH gets ticked off when he sees them tear out old cabinets...NOT recycling them..TEARING them out and putting in "green" cabinets --- just for the sake of being "green"... Do they think we're all idiots????

Another gripe -- young people buying houses that are 3000+ square feet just because they have/are having babies. Then saying the white appliances have "GOT TO GO".....just to get the stainless steel kind......ummmmmm IDIOTIC!

Okay - I'm off my bandwagon....LOL :mrgreen:

yeah I'm wondering where they get these figures of how much you save with new appliances. I would like to see proof of the saving or at least how they figured it.

Nobody NEEDS a 3000 sq ft house to raise a family. People in the 60's thought they were doing great with 1000 sq ft.I grew up in a home that my father built that was 1800 sq ft. Three children two parents and all my friends thought my house was HUGE!!! I think a study should be done about if families bond better in a smaller home. There is such a thing as too big.

Well, I was out looking at washer & dryer as mine are about beyond their life expectancy. The new Maytag ones that I saw at BestBuy say they use 70% less water & electircity.

So, I would think that if you are in need of appliances, it makes sense to look at the ones that are more efficient. Here in PA our electric rates are about to go up dramatically in January, so I'm for any savings I can make. And, the electric company, Maytag & the state of PA have rebates when purchasing the Energy Star appliances.

And no, my old appliances will not go to a landfill. They will go the the Women's shelter or someone else that can use them until they die.

I'm with you on that one. I just replaced my 58 year old fridge finally! After 35 yrs of marriage I finally got a new fridge. Energy star saver right? Wrong my Electric bill went up!!! And I can't get near as much stuff in the new one as I did the old one. I sometimes think this is a scam to get us to keep buying stuff. Oh and the old fridge now sits in my yard painted up and used as a garden tool shed. I miss the cereal drawer under the fridge, it could hold a lot of misc. stuff

To clarify -- I'm not saying to NOT buy if needed...I'm saying they push to have people to buy JUST to get that savings! No reason to get rid of something just because it consumes energy or it's the wrong color.

Sorry to say people fall for those kinds of wording. My friend is trying to sell her house she did a lot of updating since her house was built in 1970 but now that no one has looked at it they want her to install new cabinets and get SS appliances. She told them no way and also they wanted her to get granite countertops. This world is ridiculous.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I know what you mean. Hopefully the white appliances get donated to someone and those big houses that people have to have is getting to be too much!
    We've become a crazy culture and even though we are in terrible shape economically I don't think if affects everyone or else some people just don't care.
    There are many ways to be "green" without filling up our landfills
    One of my kids caters for a client who lives alone and has a huge, huge house. My son has a hard time not going crazy when he works there :)
    He vents to us lol

I totally agree with you, and the 3000+ sq. foot homes, what do 2-4 people do in a house that big. Our parents managed to raise their kids in homes around 1000 sq. ft or maybe a little bigger.

we're green (have been for years) and our utility bill only climbs higher every year.

be very careful when buying a new washer. We bought one and got an energy saver and earth healthy. It does not get my clothes clean and I have to do a second rinse on every cycle because it doesn't use enough water to clean yor cloths or rinse them good and yes I use just the recommend amount of detergent It's like the wter saving tolets that don't use as much water that is a laugh you just have to flush more. By the way my old wsher and dryer went to people who needed it.

I love inefficient "open concept living." Only the crunchiest of moderns, or rational folks with old houses, would live in small rooms with doors.

Our state was having a rebate program if you bought certain new enegry star appliances. We were thinking of replacing our frig, but after looking into the program, decided against it. They frigs that qualified cost way more than we wanted to spend & were way too big for our kitchen. We have a small, basic, WHITE frig, probably cost $4-500.

You have to really crunch the numbers to see if there is a savings. Too, the bigger the house, the more flooring, paint, furniture, windows, etc., there is to buy.

Blog Entries
    I have to admit I wish my house had rooms that were a little larger, but it isn't going to happen!
    I think a bunch of the this "goin green" stuff is just hype to get people to spend more money.

Only thing green in my house is my plants..lol

We had a heat pump installed, a big difference on our heating and cooling bill. It also helps that our house has 6" of insulation on the exterior walls as well as the floor and ceiling.

My new washer and dryer are alot more energy efficient also. We run a fan on exhaust in the study to pull out the heat from the computers. That way we don't have to run the AC all the time to keep one room cool and the rest of the house freezing.

we have a small (9 c.f.) fridge that is almost 30 years old and uses up half of our electric each month (not that much really - $13 or so.)
    Looked into getting a new one. State rebates for getting Energy Star. FIrst, the E.S. appliances cost a lot more than the regular ones, and they don't save that much electricity. Second, they insist that you trash the old fridge (they will pick up) - now I don't go along with that, maybe there is someone somewhere who can use it. Doesn't make sense to destroy a working appliance and then use energy to make a new one.

Blog Entries
    We are not technically (sp) green, but I try to be conservative. I used to run the washer when ever, now I try to do all my laundry twice a week only. I keep rooms we don't use close off with the vents closed. One room is for my fabric and I don't want the kitties in there sleeping on the fabric. Our house if over 2000 and it's bigger than I want when it's time to clean. It's paid for so it would cost to much to downsize if we could find a buyer and a smaller house that cost less than we could get for this one.

I grew up iin the sixties and we had 2 bedrooms ,1 batroom a kitchen and a living room. Probably 1000 sq feet. @ adults @ kids. All my friends houses were about the same and most had more than 2 kids. Seems like the average was 3. I had one friend who was a single child so she had her own room and she had her own bathroom! We all thought she was rich!

Blog Entries
    We grew up in a tiny house that for a bathroom we only had a toilet and a curtain for the door. I remember the first time I took a bath in a tub with running water.

I love the people that are looking for a house with "character". Then when they look at an older house, they're upset because there's no bathroom off the master bedroom. Hello!! Old houses don't have bathrooms off the master unless they've been added on. And why do they all want a large maste suite? Am I missing something? How much time do people spend in their master suites? Gotta love 'em--want "character" then they rip out or paint over woodwork or cabinets. And this is the generation that is supposed to be "more aware" of environmental issues.
    Phew--sorry for the rant. Usually I just yell at the tv!!

Blog Entries
    I have two rooms that don't have heat, can I consider myself green for saving gas and electricity? Hehehe

Blog Entries
    I don't have much respect for "green". "Green" products are usually more expensive...for what? A more natural product that takes less processing? (i.e., costs less to produce)

I'm all for saving the planet...after all, I live here too...but I'm also all for saving the planet using simple common sense. Something that seems to be seriously lacking in our world today.

LOL, I cant afford to be "green", but then again, I cant afford to be wasteful either!

My husband and I bought a house 3 years ago. I wish I didn't have a conscience and/or was fabulously wealthy. I hate the refridgerator! It is a big side-by-side. It is awkward, doesn't fit very much and the freezer holds about 1/2 what it should hold. I had a bottom freezer fridge that I loved very much before we moved here, and I want it back!

We did go against the tide when we bought, though. We 'downsized' from a 2,000 square foot home with a 2 car garage to a 2,300 square foot home with 5 garages! (Beleive me when I say that was NOT my plan!) My husband is a collector of radios, 45 record players, and Lord only knows what else, so when we saw this house his eyes almost popped out of his head! Three of the garages are in a separate building, but it is heated and air conditioned and has its own bathroom. The house is mine and that 3 car garage is his!

It turns out that we really use the space - lots of company in the summer, and now I've got fabric all over the place.

I do wish that the ceilings weren't so high as it is costly to heat and cool so much space for nothing.

Going Green is it really saving or is it just the latest THING? I know we sure can't run out buy all new appliances, just to be 'politically correct'.

Donnajean: be cautious about Best Buy, their prices here are not the best in the area. Also, I have been a Maytaqg user for many years when I needed to replace washer/dryer my local appliance friend recommend not to stay with Maytag.They just don't hold up like they used to. He is the Maytag dealer.

Replacing appliances for the sake of getting a different color or style certainly isn't green. And if an appliance is working, is it really green to toss it in a landfill? Those landfills are filling up and coming soon to a neighborhood near you! Hope you get my humor!

But I bet each and every one of us is conscious of wastefulness and excess even if you say you're not "green." It's just how everyone rolls these days. It's a good and responsible thing. Smart steps toward a better planet. It doesn't take anyone going to extremes. Common sense is always in fashion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast