Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you "green"???  I'm confused >

Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Okay -- I'm supposed to be sewing, but I have HGTV on and listening to it. An ad just came on for appliances that can save you $2500.00 over a 5 yr period --- WOW!!! ENERGY saving!!! WOW!!! Okay - let's break that down....$2500. divided by 5 yrs = $500. a year savings ... $500. a year breaks down to $41.00 a month. SOOOOO go out, buy a new appliance, dump the old one in the landfill or a recycling place, and save $41.00 a month. No mention of the original cost, no mention of the ENERGY expended to MAKE the appliance! Am I missing something here? DH gets ticked off when he sees them tear out old cabinets...NOT recycling them..TEARING them out and putting in "green" cabinets --- just for the sake of being "green"... Do they think we're all idiots????

Another gripe -- young people buying houses that are 3000+ square feet just because they have/are having babies. Then saying the white appliances have "GOT TO GO".....just to get the stainless steel kind......ummmmmm IDIOTIC!

Okay - I'm off my bandwagon....LOL :mrgreen:
if my things are "NOT BROKE" I don't mend ie do not renew, dishwasher has knob off but works well, did have new CH boiler 2 yrs ago replacing the original [1969!!] and will say it is far more efficient and DOES save oil.
makes me smile ,got a NEW towel ste for 1/2 dollar 5 yrs ago at a car boot sale ,asked why selling-------OH we've changed the bathroom colour!!! my gain.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldhag
I'm with you on that one. I just replaced my 58 year old fridge finally! After 35 yrs of marriage I finally got a new fridge. Energy star saver right? Wrong my Electric bill went up!!! And I can't get near as much stuff in the new one as I did the old one. I sometimes think this is a scam to get us to keep buying stuff. Oh and the old fridge now sits in my yard painted up and used as a garden tool shed. I miss the cereal drawer under the fridge, it could hold a lot of misc. stuff
I hope you took the handle off that fridge...I imagine you know they can be a death trap. Never heard of a cereal drawer under a fridge! Sounds like a great feature though! :D
Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Okay -- I'm supposed to be sewing, but I have HGTV on and listening to it. An ad just came on for appliances that can save you $2500.00 over a 5 yr period --- WOW!!! ENERGY saving!!! WOW!!! Okay - let's break that down....$2500. divided by 5 yrs = $500. a year savings ... $500. a year breaks down to $41.00 a month. SOOOOO go out, buy a new appliance, dump the old one in the landfill or a recycling place, and save $41.00 a month. No mention of the original cost, no mention of the ENERGY expended to MAKE the appliance! Am I missing something here? DH gets ticked off when he sees them tear out old cabinets...NOT recycling them..TEARING them out and putting in "green" cabinets --- just for the sake of being "green"... Do they think we're all idiots????

Another gripe -- young people buying houses that are 3000+ square feet just because they have/are having babies. Then saying the white appliances have "GOT TO GO".....just to get the stainless steel kind......ummmmmm IDIOTIC!

Okay - I'm off my bandwagon....LOL :mrgreen:
I'm totaly with you on this. I think the same things when I see some of those shows. What are people thinking? Oh ya, they aren't.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 AM

i replaced all my lightbulbs with fluro ones. one i use to do hand work by is much cooler. my bathrooms have the kind of light fixture that has a row of four bulbs across - well, i replaced the four 40 watt bulbs with 4 of the fluro bulbs that are supposed to be as bright as a 100 watt bulb. i had to cover my eyes when i turned on the light - needless to say i had to downsize the bulbs - but i do have the brighter ones in my sewing room and LOVE 'em. and you can get instant on ones now.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM

green is just the new buzz word. The principle has always been the same. Waste not, want not. Treat the Earth like she's your mom, your home, your loved one. Respect and common sense. Mom has always taken care of you, now it is time to take care of Mom.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 AM

It is all hype to get you to spend money. I think they do the same thing around the holidays. You start seeing all these commercials telling you that "Christmas is coming" and trying to tell you that you NEED to get to the stores and buy up all your gifts.

A few years ago we stopped exchanging gifts completely (Its just hubby and I and my parents-no little ones). Now, we just laugh at all the day after Thanksgiving lines. It is crazy what people will stand in line at 3am for.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Is it really a 'saving' though if you have to buy the item on time? Not all of us are able to just put out X number of dollars for a new appliance. My washer and dryer are new within the last 6 years. I figure they will last till I die. they are front loading and I love them, Maytag. The old stuff died. By some stroke of luck we were able to pay cash due to an inheritance, but that was just that, luck.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM

Have you seen the ad for replacement windows? Imagine windows that are 15 years old on some houses. They are saying to replace those 15 year old windows.

I don't buy unless it is broken. As a matter of fact, I am using my grade school umbrella which is at least 60 years old. Granted it hasn't been used all those years but when I found it in my parent's home 11 years ago, I have been using it since. And I am proud to say that it is the umbrella that I used in grade school.

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Do without.

I liked that saying so much, I did it in cross stitch, had it framed, and it hangs in my hallway.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM

I grow alot of food, but use 7dust too...... guess its all in the perception....