Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you "green"???  I'm confused >

Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Are you "green"??? I'm confused

Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM

Beware of the new washers. They do NOT completely drain the dirty water between the wash and rinse cycle. They rinse the dirty water right back into your clothes. That's how they SAVE water.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:30 PM

I think our country has really become mis-focused. It dawned on be the past couple years we are being directed by our government.

I've seen appliances (that were purchased BECAUSE they died) actually getting to the point they are no longer servicable within 6 or 7 years versus what I used to have when we built our first home in the early 1970's. When we sold the house in 1989 all our appliances still worked.

Not sure exactly why things don't last as long. Seems like it's planned.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 PM

if i were to replace kitchen cabinets i would not destroy the old ones i would personaly take the to the habit for humanity restore i have purchased a lot of stuff from them for our old house and i am doing the same for our new house that is being green it is not filling the landfills with torn apart kitchen cabinets the old house didn't have any upper cabinets in the house, they were tearing down the house across the street ,they had upper cabinets in it the people tearing down the house were happy to give them to me they even put them in my front yard.the people that purchased the old house really liked the vintage look kitchen cabinets and asked where i got them so they could match the old ones.there were serval other things i got from that house.i also find old wooden furniture people are going to throw away because they look so bad. i retore them make them look new and sell for quit a bit of money in also rewire old lamps and give them to our free store and do many other projects to be green is to reduce the foot prints we leave here on earth that we leave behind when we go up younder
grace of god be with you
Old 09-26-2010, 11:44 PM

My attempt at 'living green' led me to replace all the light bulbs in my house with the flourescent ones. My electric billed dropped by a third! The only problem I had with them, is the one over my sewing machine was too dim, to see well with, so it is back to a regular 75 watt bulb in that one. I only make 'green choices' that make sense to me. I don't believe the hype. Do your research. It pays in the end. Call your local electric company and ask them what they see as worth the expense. Talk to people in Home centers, they will share experience, good or bad. Most people like to be asked for their expertise.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:21 PM

I am NOT "green". I don't believe in it. I do believe we need to take care of things and not miss use and dump things all over. That is wrong. But the lights that "they" say save us $ really has cost us more money. And they take so long to come on. I don't like that.

I do believe the whole thing is silly, and there is a better way to deal with all the trash instead of putting it all in landfills.
Buy American (for those who live here) and not from China who puts poisons in a lot of their things.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I don't have much respect for "green". "Green" products are usually more expensive...for what? A more natural product that takes less processing? (i.e., costs less to produce)

I'm all for saving the planet...after all, I live here too...but I'm also all for saving the planet using simple common sense. Something that seems to be seriously lacking in our world today.
dh & i say all the time.. they should call it uncommon sense, because not many people seem to have it!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lady-T
Originally Posted by quilt3311
My personal opinion is the whole "green" thing is a hoax. I do not buy new just because its "the in" thing to do. My home is 105 years old. We remodeled it and built new cabinets (all oak) plus built in platform bed and built in wall units on both sides of the bed (ceiling to floor-has one area for hanging clothes-7 large drawers)also oak. Designed it all and built it all, stained and finished it all. Took all the woodwork off and refinished it. Its the old foot high decorative woodwork. etc, etc. House is fairly small, but its all mine and we did it with out own two hands.
Have friends with huge houses (for two people) and when I visit some, the house seems cold. Its beautiful but just doesn't have the coziness of older homes. Just my opinion here.
who has the $$ to heat & cool that much space & who CLEANS it??

I agree! My niece just built a 6,000 (yep 6,000!!) sq ft home...
Gorgeous! Stunning!!.....but cold :-( It's like a huge hotel.....

It feels like a "model house" for tours.....just not very 'homey'.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM

we are still working on our house.. .circa 1738... we still have rooms with 1 outlet, we have a couple bedrooms upstairs & my sewing room that have no heat... we got a couple space heaters up there & use them only when we need them..

we recently replaced our washer & dryer... washer died & we switched frm electric to propane when we redid that part of the house..

we got the bosch set w/frontloading washer. since we are on a septic system, and do a lot of wash.. we wanted to use less water.. it works really well, and spins put just about dry.. as long as you have a full load... ddil washed 2 pairs of jeans & not enough wgt to spin right..

we try to reuse what we can, and have been really careful about getting something because it is "green" the greenest thing to do is be an old yankee and reuse, repurpose, and do without!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM

I have a friend whose son and daughter-in-law are "green". They live in her house (long story, she doesn't even live there anymore, but she makes the house payment) and had to repaint it because the paint wasn't "green". He had to have a push mower--grass sure is long though. Once the baby came along, only organic everything. They even use organic diapers. Those are very expensive. You have to have alot of "the green" in order to be "green". They don't have jobs.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by elizabeth
I have a friend whose son and daughter-in-law are "green". They live in her house (long story, she doesn't even live there anymore, but she makes the house payment) and had to repaint it because the paint wasn't "green". He had to have a push mower--grass sure is long though. Once the baby came along, only organic everything. They even use organic diapers. Those are very expensive. You have to have alot of "the green" in order to be "green". They don't have jobs.
i assume by 'organic diapers" you don't mean the old cotton reusable washable ones we used! lol