View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 AM
retired2pa

Originally Posted by janRN
Went to a quilt show not long ago, locally. Lots of lovely quilts but yes, most long-arm quilted by the same 3-4 people. All were quilted in the exact same pattern whether it enhanced the quilt or not. They were nice-but I always thought quilting patterns were individual to the quilt to show off the piecing or applique.

There was one entry I questioned (in my mind, not to anyone else). The quilt was lovely, made by a very talented quilter. It was long-arm quilted by the winner of the $100,000 Quilters Challenge. What did this person pay to have her do the quilting? Is this "fair" to other quilters? Of course she won a prize (her quilt alone was prize-worthy). It just didn't sit right with me (and I over heard others expressing the same thought) that why enter a show if this is what you're competing against. I have mixed feelings-what is considered professional vs what is okay for a local quilt show?

Again-the quilts were lovely. I started as hand quilter and always was taught to let the quilt tell you what pattern to quilt on it. Now they all have the same all-over design.

Whew-sorry. I don't mean to criticize or write an essay but this has been bugging me since I went to the show. Thanks for starting this topic-I can't wait to see other opinions.
Jan...you may have been long-winded (LOL) but I agree with you 100%!!

Our local Fair is lovely and they have a special building for displaying quilts, afghans, cross stitch, etc. and everything is hung up behind glass. There is such a wide variety of quilts, table runners, etc. that's it's a display that I could look at all day. That being said, I did notice that there were more long arm quilting this year and they won most of the prizes. My DH asked me why I don't enter one of my quilts next year and I told him I didn't stand a chance.

I think it's a shame that us non-long armer's are being "overlooked" by the judges. I agree that there should be a category for strictly long arm quilting and they should be judged on their own. Another thing that I think should change in how quilts are judged at Fair's is why don't they have different "classes" for beginner, intermediate, and advanced? OK...just MHO :)