Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Went to a quilt show today >

Went to a quilt show today

Went to a quilt show today

Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 PM

I went to one of our best quilt shows today and was actually disappointed. I wasn't in such awe as I usually am. I'm thinking it is because I see such beautiful work on this quilt board and so I've become much pickier!

And I also feel much better about my own work.

One thing that i noticed is almost everything is quilted with a LA. I prefer the hand quilted or lightly machine quilted quilts myself. I think there should be separate categories for long arm quilting and other types of quilting.

At least it inspired me. I actually came home and did some quilting instead spending my day here on this board! :D
Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 PM

when l arms first hit town i went to a country quilt show and was very dissappointed a lot of quilts had the same all over pattern it didnt suit many of them --now its an art form --have seen some glorious quilting--next weekend we have the first aussi machine quil show here --- i am working -- boo hoo-- long week end --penalty rates = more fabric
Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Power Poster

I know what you mean. When I went to the fair this year, I was really disappointed. There were about 1/3rd the number of quilts as last year. I think people have reached the point where they say Why Bother? The building is very small and there are only about 8 quilts hung that you can actually see. Another reason, is that someone at a quilt guild meeting asked who the judges were and we were all told it is a secret. If they feel they are doing a good job why would they have to be in hiding? I also noticed that there is one person who almost always wins. I wouldn't take a quilt that is just going to be where you cannot even see it, and know that I really have no chance of winning because they already know who they are choosing. Not worth a 15 mile drive for me. That equals 60 miles to deliver and pick up... We do have a few that are hand quilted, but very few. The rest are all longarm quilted, which doesn't bother me except they are all quilted by computer. I only know this because I recognize the names and most are quilted on Statler and Gammil computerized systems. It doesn't take much to set a computer and let it do all of the work for you. Computers are great, but why should they be judged on the same level as hand quided quilting? I also won't go because if you have even taught one class you are put in the professional category. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry for almost writing a book here, but it just frustrates me.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:57 PM

I've noticed the quilts badly placed here sometimes too.
Three years ago the quilt display at State Fair were at eye level in a small pavillion inside a large covered arena.
The next year, the quilts were all hung at LEAST 15 feet over the floor in a foyer gallery of the dining hall. I was stunned not to be able to see the stitching, and got a crick in my neck craning to see them at all.

One reason the judges for the show you mention may be kept a secret, is because maybe that will keep down some shady persuasions by some quilters. Is it possible something like this is going on?
Or maybe it's the other way around, if they always pick the same winners then they don't want to catch flak!

Just guessing.

Maybe the one always-winning quilter is the only good one in the area???
How likely is that I wonder, hmmmm.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 AM

I remember not long after I started quilting going to the largest quilt show we have here and hoping I would one day be good enough to enter a quilt.
The next day was our class at LQS. Another quilter was asked by the shop owner who had won. She replied, the usual and named a few names.
I have since met one lady and found her most pleasant and willing to share tips & info with us. Another quilter wins consistently but only seems to make quilts to win prizes. No matter how many machines we have we can only use one at a time - sometimes two if the embroidery is intense.
I don't consider it worth my time when the judging seems to be in favor of the same people all the time. I would much rather make charity quilts for children. The thought of brightening some little child's life is worth more than a new machine. I don't really have the room.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 AM

Well, I on the other hand was very pleased with the quilts I saw in Springfield at the annual Peacemaker's Guild Annual show! Some of the most outstanding work I've ever seen! Sorry you were disappointed. Hope to post pictures a little later!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Went to a quilt show not long ago, locally. Lots of lovely quilts but yes, most long-arm quilted by the same 3-4 people. All were quilted in the exact same pattern whether it enhanced the quilt or not. They were nice-but I always thought quilting patterns were individual to the quilt to show off the piecing or applique.

There was one entry I questioned (in my mind, not to anyone else). The quilt was lovely, made by a very talented quilter. It was long-arm quilted by the winner of the $100,000 Quilters Challenge. What did this person pay to have her do the quilting? Is this "fair" to other quilters? Of course she won a prize (her quilt alone was prize-worthy). It just didn't sit right with me (and I over heard others expressing the same thought) that why enter a show if this is what you're competing against. I have mixed feelings-what is considered professional vs what is okay for a local quilt show?

Again-the quilts were lovely. I started as hand quilter and always was taught to let the quilt tell you what pattern to quilt on it. Now they all have the same all-over design.

Whew-sorry. I don't mean to criticize or write an essay but this has been bugging me since I went to the show. Thanks for starting this topic-I can't wait to see other opinions.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 AM

Other than seeing quilts on display at the fair before I started quilting, I've only been to three quilt shows. I actually saw some 'better' quilts at one of the smaller shows than at one we went to that was bigger.

One of the nice features of one of the smaller shows was that they had quilts on display that were not part of the judging, just there to enjoy...previous winners, antique quilts, etc.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Went to a quilt show not long ago, locally. Lots of lovely quilts but yes, most long-arm quilted by the same 3-4 people. All were quilted in the exact same pattern whether it enhanced the quilt or not. They were nice-but I always thought quilting patterns were individual to the quilt to show off the piecing or applique.

There was one entry I questioned (in my mind, not to anyone else). The quilt was lovely, made by a very talented quilter. It was long-arm quilted by the winner of the $100,000 Quilters Challenge. What did this person pay to have her do the quilting? Is this "fair" to other quilters? Of course she won a prize (her quilt alone was prize-worthy). It just didn't sit right with me (and I over heard others expressing the same thought) that why enter a show if this is what you're competing against. I have mixed feelings-what is considered professional vs what is okay for a local quilt show?

Again-the quilts were lovely. I started as hand quilter and always was taught to let the quilt tell you what pattern to quilt on it. Now they all have the same all-over design.

Whew-sorry. I don't mean to criticize or write an essay but this has been bugging me since I went to the show. Thanks for starting this topic-I can't wait to see other opinions.
Jan...you may have been long-winded (LOL) but I agree with you 100%!!

Our local Fair is lovely and they have a special building for displaying quilts, afghans, cross stitch, etc. and everything is hung up behind glass. There is such a wide variety of quilts, table runners, etc. that's it's a display that I could look at all day. That being said, I did notice that there were more long arm quilting this year and they won most of the prizes. My DH asked me why I don't enter one of my quilts next year and I told him I didn't stand a chance.

I think it's a shame that us non-long armer's are being "overlooked" by the judges. I agree that there should be a category for strictly long arm quilting and they should be judged on their own. Another thing that I think should change in how quilts are judged at Fair's is why don't they have different "classes" for beginner, intermediate, and advanced? OK...just MHO :)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I have only been to our local show twice and both times those quilts were wonderful. I enjoyed this year much more than last.