View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by DeneK
I am interested in this topic too... I have a HandiQuilter and the same thing happened to me (also a Janome 1600P). It seems I remember from a previous topic that this Janome model is picky about the kind of thread. I spent quite a while looking at threads online today. The Superior thread site said that problems like this are often mismatched thread size and needle size. I am going to try another brand of thread when I get another top ready to quilt. The last one is sitting on the shelf because I need to remove all the stitching since I have all those bird's nests on the back.

Will be interested to see what everyone has to say.
Do you belong to the HQ16 Yahoo Group? It's a great place to get advice/help for these machines. For the HQ, your issue most likely is not pulling, then holding, the bobbin thread firmly while taking the 4-5 tacking stitches to secure the threads before moving on. Of course, this assumes the beginning of a line of thread is the only time you see these little balls. The 2nd most common thing would be tension issues.

Come join our HQ16 group - we're a great group and a wonderful resource (and there are Yahoo Groups for the majority of other machines as well, which I'd recommend to all machine owners with any sort of questions!).

On the Jamone, it may also be not holding the bobbin thread until the tacking stitches are complete. If not held firmly, the excess will create a birds nest or a small ball of thread. So, if you hold the threads firmly (pulling on the bobbin thread to ensure it's taunt) and you hold them until the 4-5 stitches are complete, then your issue should be resolved. Try it and see if that helps. If not, let us know!

Debbie in Austin