Thread: Did ya ever...
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 PM
madamekelly

Did you ever have something to eat, in a home or a restaurant, that you would give your right arm to find the recipe for? I was in my friend's, great grandmother's home, when I was a teenager, and was served breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, biscuits, and chocolate gravy. Sounds bizarre, but that chocolate gravy was one of the best things to ever hit my tongue. I never thought to ask her how she made it, nor do I have anyway of finding that long-lost friend, so I guess unless one of you has some idea, I will just remember it fondly. The worst thing ever served to me, was NOT what I thought I had ordered in a restaurant. I wanted Chili and corn bread. This is one of my favorite combos. Never order it in Tennessee. Evidently in Tennessee, what we call cornbread doesn't exist. (You know, that bright yellow, cake looking corn bread.) In some parts of the south, they serve what I always saw as "Hoecakes". In this restaurant, it was made with white corn meal. Imagine a damp, anemic looking pancake that has NO color. Ewwwe! :thumbdown: