View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by misoop
P.S.....I recently had a terrible time trying to quilt a quilt that had batiks for some of the patchwork. My HQ16 just made horrible skipped stitches on the batiks, but not the other cottons. Anyone had this experience? That's why I'm looking into this bobbin gadget. Appreciate suggestions/comments about this, too.
It's a Towa, and it's worth it's weight in gold. However, on the HQ16 (that's what I have) and the batiks, your issue may be one of several things. If it's making any noise, as well as skipping, it can mean dull needle or needle is too big. Skipped stitches often mean tension is too tight on either top or bottom or both, or the thread may be dry, or the bobbin wound incorrectly.

I'd say start with some silicon drops (Sewers Aide) and spread 4-5 rows on thread. This helps so much, for a variety of things, and is also worth it's weight in gold. Try this first, test, then try loosing your upper tension 1/2 turn and test, then loosen bobbin and test. Also, loosen the quilt tension (we do tend to quilt with those way too tight which will alone cause skipped stitches) a couple of notches. Just some ideas that helps me.

Have you joined the HQ16 Yahoo Group? It's a great place for help and advice specific to our machine. Lots of wonderful helpful people on there -and tons of items to research through.

Hope this helps,
Debbie in Austin