View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 AM
wishiwerequilting

I've been involved with the quilting industry professionally for over 20 years now. Without the support of folks in the industry, either at LQS, online or at conferences/shows, I can't imagine where i would be. Even online, we try to educate folks and inspire them, without physically being present with the quilter. So I guess my position would be to try to support the places that will keep our craft going, if at all possible.

Every quilter wishes to find bargains, and believe me they are everywhere. You can't be faulted for that. Our grandmothers and great grandmothers made quilts from old shirtings, dress fabrics, and feed sacks. Nothing was wasted. But, there was *good* quality in all those fabrics.

My learning experience happened many years ago...1996...when i was making a quilt with RJR-Jinny Beyer fabric. Bought it at LQS. Saw more of it at Joanns. Bought tons of it there. Used it for backing. The ink was coming off the fabric right on to the bed of my sewing machine and turning it black! it was NOT the same quality, but it was on RJR bolts, and *looked* fine. They *do* get the inferior strike off goods that the manufacturers use to test colors and prints, and they are *not the same*.

Discount fabric chains will also get overstock that the manufacturers have in their warehouses. Those bolts are good quality, but probably not the prettiest of fabrics. Those are the same quality that the LQS shop has. BUT how can YOU tell the difference?
Not usually until the fabric is in your quilt and it does not behave properly. Fades faster than others, loses color, bleeds forever, etc.

Each of us needs to make our own decisions about where to buy, but beware. And personally if I knew my LQS was shopping at a chain and then increasing the price at her shop...i'd be quite cautious about buying from her.

Happy stitching everyone!