Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Joann's Fabric snafu....

Blog Entries
    I finally got to go to Joann's in the next town over, last week. I love going to find new FQs. I was walking around petting the FQ's, (yes I do!) when I walked over to see the little bundles of FQ's, and imagine my surprise when the top bundle of 'blenders' was a stack of fabrics that I bought last year at Walmart, off the dollar table! I looked at them with my magnifier light, and it is exactly the same weave and colors. Ruined my whole trip. I always thought Joann's was a higher quality fabric than Walmart. I now have proof that that just isn't so! Dagnabit! Another illusion blown up! It will make me think twice, before I spend more than a few dollars for Joann's fabric. The only upside to the story is that I got it in 17 different colors for a project I want to do. Joann's only had five colors. :roll:

Things like that tick me off. But, we do learn to be careful.

Yeah, it's disappointing to find out that the fabric you paid $ 8, 9, 10 a yard for in a quilt shop shows up in Walmart for $2 to $5 a yard.

That's why I'm not much of a fabric snob anymore. I like the feel of money in my pocket...

Maybe the JoAnn fabric wasn't poor quality because it was the same as Walmart. Maybe the Walmart was as good as the better JoAnn fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linda13
    Maybe the JoAnn fabric wasn't poor quality because it was the same as Walmart. Maybe the Walmart was as good as the better JoAnn fabric.
    That's what I was thinking... :D

Blog Entries
    I love the way you think. Thank you.

I go to several different Joann's and the fabric mix is different in each one. Some have lots of the less expensive fabrics (a range of quality within this category) and others seem to cater to those who can/will spend more.

Seems to me like we just have to be aware of the "feel" we're looking for no matter which place we shop...and sometimes I'm more interested in the color match than in the fabric being 'the best' there is.

All of the jelly rolls that are sold at the Joann's near me are the exact, yes I mean exact, same ones that were sold at Walmart. Absolutely no difference in them. Totally the same... only difference was the price. Walmart is cheaper. I guess I'm different than most. I really don't think that the fabric at Walmart is all that bad. Or Joann's for that matter.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about anybodies else's wm but mine has been getting in some very nice fabric's lately. The prices are still $5.00 and under per yard.

When our Wal-Mart quit selling fabric, JoAnn's hiked their prices up! I bought the same fabric in Wal-Mart as I did in JoAnn's only cheaper. I used my fabric and was happy with the results I got from buying at either store.

A lot of the "discount stores" have surplus runs at a lower price. We consumers need to be on the lookout for "seconds" (fabric with flaws). I have been suckered in before and purchased faded fabric that set in a window too long. When you know the fabric has a flaw when you purchase it, you can plan to work around it (cutting).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    That's what I was thinking... :D
    I like this way of thinking too!! :D:D:D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Now Big Lots is getting into FQ's. Went to mine today to buy other things and low and behold on a bottom shelf in the scrap booking section was a tote full of 1.00 FQ's in all colors. Made in Korea but felt nice. Did I buy any...NOOOOOOOO. Only because I am trying not to spend on fabric until my room is done. Good deal for some. I would go to mine if anyone needs it or wants it and charge shipping only. Most places have a big lots. Guess I am not a fabric snob as some say. If I like fabric I get it. LOL

When I worked in the fabric department at WalMart, I had our local LQS come to WalMart and buy bolts of fabric and take it to her shop and mark up the price. Just because it is at WalMart doesn't mean the quality is not as good as other stores. WalMart just bought in such large quantities they could offer better prices.

You gals need to start patronizing your LQS. That is where the good quality fabrics are.

Why wouldn't they have some of the same fabrics? They have the same brand of scissors, needles, rotary cutters, etc. I shop where I can get the best bang for my buck. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I don't know about anybodies else's wm but mine has been getting in some very nice fabric's lately. The prices are still $5.00 and under per yard.

Ours recently had some fabric made by "American Greetings"- it was several black & white prints. They seemed very nice quality. I didn't buy any, but thought about them & the next time I was there they were all gone.

Awhile back I got some fabric from the red tag area in Joanns that was half off the red tag price (I love it when they have that sale!). It was originally some of their more expensive fabric by some stamp designer. It was being cleared out and I got it for like $2 a yard. It was good stuff, and I got it because my timing was right.

I have bought fabric at more expensive stores and have been dissatisfied. I don't care where I buy fabric, I just make sure I like it when I buy it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    First of all, not all of us can afford the LQS fabrics.And even if I could,Id have to drive over 80 miles.I am not able to get out much due to health reasons.I( get tired of people making me feel like less of a quilter because I can't afford the best.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Made in Korea but felt nice.
    Actually... Korea is one of the better countries as far as the quality of the printing. Their mills are a notch above China; the best prints are made in Japan IMHO.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    I get tired of people making me feel like less of a quilter because I can't afford the best.
    What counts most in the finished product is the love you put into it. And if you enjoyed making it, with whatever fabrics you had available, that's important too.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    First of all, not all of us can afford the LQS fabrics.And even if I could,Id have to drive over 80 miles.I am not able to get out much due to health reasons.I( get tired of people making me feel like less of a quilter because I can't afford the best.
    Don't let anyone make you feel like that. I am fortunate enough to be able to shop at LQS's, but I also have a lot of fabric I have bought from my local Jo-Ann stores that I like every bit as much. I find variation in quality among the fabrics no matter where I shop.

i don't have that many LQS close to me, but I have bought material in them and loved it,and have bought material at WM and loved it, bought material at JoAnn's and Hancocks and loved it. Most of the time it is what I can afford at the time I am buying. I don't feel one bit bad about quilts I make with WM fabric or any other I feel blessed God gave me the ability to do what I do. I have seen beautiful quilts made out of used clothing and Goodwill fabric. We do this because we enjoy it who cares where the material comes from. Do you put where you got the material on all your quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by SherryLea
    i don't have that many LQS close to me, but I have bought material in them and loved it,and have bought material at WM and loved it, bought material at JoAnn's and Hancocks and loved it. Most of the time it is what I can afford at the time I am buying. I don't feel one bit bad about quilts I make with WM fabric or any other I feel blessed God gave me the ability to do what I do. I have seen beautiful quilts made out of used clothing and Goodwill fabric. We do this because we enjoy it who cares where the material comes from. Do you put where you got the material on all your quilts?
    The best answer I've ever seen! Love it and agree!

Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast