Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joann's Fabric snafu....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Yeah, it's disappointing to find out that the fabric you paid $ 8, 9, 10 a yard for in a quilt shop shows up in Walmart for $2 to $5 a yard.

That's why I'm not much of a fabric snob anymore. I like the feel of money in my pocket...
    I have been saying this all along. Glad to see that some people are getting wise. Just because it is in a fabric shop or quilt shop does not mean it is better or best. You tell this by looking and checking out the fabric before buying. I think we are smart enough to tell the difference between a bad fabric and a good fabric. I have never been a fabric snob. I too love love the feel of money in my hand.

On the Up Side of this problem is when you get some great LQS quality fabric for a much lower price. When I was in Lancaster last year I picked up two 2 1/2 yard pieces of a great cream fabric for 2.29 per yard. Saw the same fabric, weight and weave, at my LQS booth at quilt show for $10.98 a yard. I had 5 yds of a fabric for the cost of about one yard from the LQS. Those of the moments we quilters live for. May in Jersey

I use to work retail and that dosen't only happen in material but in clothing also

Blog Entries
    I do what I can afford and what I enjoy and don't feel guilty about it. I admire all the work I see here regardless of the source of the materials.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter41
    Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.
    this is what "everyone" claimed would happen to our small town when superwm came in 5 years ago. Hasn't happened. I work at a small family owned business that ''everyone' was sure would be ruined. NOT! Infact we are doing better than ever. Some small business owners don't provide good customer service and act like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you. That's why they lose business.

My experience is to look for fabric of thick quality. It makes all the difference when it's washed and used often in quilts. I must admit that not all fabric is the same, but I guess depending on what you use it for should determine if you're looking for higher quality. Just feel for the thickness. I do and try to stick with that theory.

I live in a small town with a Walmart that has a huge fabric section and we have a LQS....the LQS is doing great...she offers things walmart can't... like quilt books, specialty items, classes, buck-a-block and most important...good service!

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.
    this is what "everyone" claimed would happen to our small town when superwm came in 5 years ago. Hasn't happened. I work at a small family owned business that ''everyone' was sure would be ruined. NOT! Infact we are doing better than ever. Some small business owners don't provide good customer service and act like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you. That's why they lose business.
    I couldn't agree more. A couple years ago I was in search of a shiny aluminum pan to bake bread in. None of the major retailers around carried one, they were all dark pans. So I went to a local little store that specializes in things like that. First of all she ignored me while I went round and round in the store....I was the ONLY customer there. Then after I asked for what I was looking for she acted as though I was a big pain...that what I was asking for was unreasonable...gave me dirty looks. So I ended up ordering them online. I will never EVER go back there. She was the owner, too!

I have bought jelly rolls at the Walmart before and then saw the same exact ones at JoAnn's for much more!!Glad I did the Wamart trip first or I would have taken the ones from JoAnn's back.

Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by linda13
    Maybe the JoAnn fabric wasn't poor quality because it was the same as Walmart. Maybe the Walmart was as good as the better JoAnn fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom

More new small stores have opened around the big Super Center Walmart in our town. The small stores are all doing great. New ones are opening every year. The ones that are struggling are old dingy looking stores with owners that act like they are doing you a favor by being open. Last week I walked into one of the older pre Walmart era stores to ask about the cast iron cookware the store use to sell. The owner of the store was eating lunch at the counter by the register, the food smells were strong, he was talking to me while eating, and never once got up to show me what he did have. And why are the stores so dark? It's like my grandmother turning out every light in the house except one lamp where she sit. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had a women tell me that worked at a WalMart that they buy their fabric from the same places the LQS do.I believe it!! I get mine at WalMart. Also 30 miles away is a store named Ben Franklin that sells fabric and they have Thimbleberry Fabric for 5 bucks a yard!!!

I do buy from our ONE LQS when she has 50 & 40% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Made in Korea but felt nice.
    Actually... Korea is one of the better countries as far as the quality of the printing. Their mills are a notch above China; the best prints are made in Japan IMHO.
    Most quilting fabrics ARE made in Korea & Asia now. Very few if any ? are still manuf. in the USA.
    Many quilters are not aware that all Moda fabrics are printed in Korea. Most other top lines are being made in Asia & Japan.
    Sadly, the US lost the market in textiles, some time ago -

Good grief! Toil and Trouble. . .for them. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Some of the fabrics at BOTH my Walmart stores are the EXACT same fabrics as Joan and Hancocks fabric. Never a diff quality!! My LQS has the better fabrics that are more tighten woven,, you cant see thru them!! Many at the big stores you can see thru. When making a purse or something with a super heavy use i use the fabric at the LQS. But Walmart is still my standby before the big stores. Heck most of the poly batting bty is no one that $3.77 a yd at Walmart which is great for most quilts.

Sadly the debate over where to buy fabric will never end. Some can afford to pay top dollar, and do! They have many a personal reason for it and I say go for it!! Where most of us must choose to pay our bills and feed our families and first before spending anything out for fabric. I say I feel no shame and am no less a person for being frugalNo one here would purposely buy material that would fall apart at the first wash to begin with. There is no shame in buying from wal-mart , biglots or wherever. We know our own limits and choose to live within them If we didn't someone would have something to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I finally got to go to Joann's in the next town over, last week. I love going to find new FQs. I was walking around petting the FQ's, (yes I do!) when I walked over to see the little bundles of FQ's, and imagine my surprise when the top bundle of 'blenders' was a stack of fabrics that I bought last year at Walmart, off the dollar table! I looked at them with my magnifier light, and it is exactly the same weave and colors. Ruined my whole trip. I always thought Joann's was a higher quality fabric than Walmart. I now have proof that that just isn't so! Dagnabit! Another illusion blown up! It will make me think twice, before I spend more than a few dollars for Joann's fabric. The only upside to the story is that I got it in 17 different colors for a project I want to do. Joann's only had five colors. :roll:
    The same thing happen to me with Hancock Fabric Store. I bought a piece of pink and black fabric there on sale 50% off for $3.00 a yard, I was in Walmart a week later saw the same exact fabric reg price $2.47 a yard. Bought a couple yards to bring home to check...exactly the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I finally got to go to Joann's in the next town over, last week. I love going to find new FQs. I was walking around petting the FQ's, (yes I do!) when I walked over to see the little bundles of FQ's, and imagine my surprise when the top bundle of 'blenders' was a stack of fabrics that I bought last year at Walmart, off the dollar table! I looked at them with my magnifier light, and it is exactly the same weave and colors. Ruined my whole trip. I always thought Joann's was a higher quality fabric than Walmart. I now have proof that that just isn't so! Dagnabit! Another illusion blown up! It will make me think twice, before I spend more than a few dollars for Joann's fabric. The only upside to the story is that I got it in 17 different colors for a project I want to do. Joann's only had five colors. :roll:
    A gal at my Joann's told me that they bought all the WalMart fabric when they decided to discontinue carrying fabric. So maybe that was some of the stuff that was sold to Joann's.

Sometimes, like in our case south of Boston there aren't many LQS's. However, I just got a neat e-mail asking what we would like in a quilt shop because three girls from our guild are thinking of opening a shop in Weymouth, MA. Exciting! Wasn't there a thread about what we would want in a LQS recently?

You gals need to start patronizing your LQS. That is where the good quality fabrics are.

I have made a lot of quilts with fabric from both Walmart and Joann's and haven't had a problem with either.

Blog Entries
    Kudos, SherryLea ------- Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    I go to several different Joann's and the fabric mix is different in each one. Some have lots of the less expensive fabrics (a range of quality within this category) and others seem to cater to those who can/will spend more.

Seems to me like we just have to be aware of the "feel" we're looking for no matter which place we shop...and sometimes I'm more interested in the color match than in the fabric being 'the best' there is.
    I'm with you. I "feel" the fabric before I even look at the price. If the feel isn't good, I probably wouldn't enjoy all the handling I would be doing in the process of hand piecing and hand quilting the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    Sometimes, like in our case south of Boston there aren't many LQS's. However, I just got a neat e-mail asking what we would like in a quilt shop because three girls from our guild are thinking of opening a shop in Weymouth, MA. Exciting! Wasn't there a thread about what we would want in a LQS recently?

You gals need to start patronizing your LQS. That is where the good quality fabrics are.
    Let us know if the gals from your quild open a quilt shop in Weymouth, I'm often in that area visiting grandkids in Rockland. May in Jersey

I've found the same print, but not the same quality. They must make different qualities same print.

When I buy from Joanne's or WM and am going to mix it with fabrics from my LQS, I prewash all the fabrics as the less expensive fabrics tend to either shrink more or bleed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast