View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM
virtualbernie

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I have the Quantum L-500. I don't hear a noise. Are you using the original needle? Maybe the needle is dull--try changing it. Also, check out your bobbin case to see if it needs cleaning.

I've used Singers all my life and haven't had a problem. Singer's have gotten a rep over the years but I think it's because the folks that have had problems speak louder than the ones that have not.
Your Singer machines are probably older machines when they were built better. They aren't built as good as they used to be.

If now is your only opportunity to send it back, you may want to do that. Kenmore machines are either Janome or Elna, both excellent quality machines.

Good luck on your decision.
I do have vintage Singers but I also have a Futura 250 embroidery/sewing machine, I have a singer quilting machine (maybe about 5/6 years old) and never had any problems with any of them. My only problem with the L-500 was my one of the "toes" on my satin foot broke off--I called Singer and had a replacement the next day and a problem with the tread breaking but once I started using a different thread that problem was solved! I seen other posts here with the same thread breakage problem and they were not Singers. The reason I bought a Singer vs other machines is not that I thought that Singer was better--it was what I could afford with features comparable to the other machines out there. I've been lucky!