View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S
I use heat and bond lite ... ALOT . I purchase by the bolt . A couple of notes on Heat and Bind lite. Yes starch affects the ability to bond to the fabric, do not starch if you want the best possible adhesion. If you over heat the fabrics it will just absorb without bonding into the fabric. When making the applique put the heat and bond on with the iron on ployester. you will know you did not over heat if it has a somewhat milky color. When you put it on the fabric use a slightly higher temp than the poly ester, not cotton.
I have used the higher temps but only for a very few seconds.
Do let the heat and bond set , in other words , let it cool to room temp before sewing. The higher the temp of the iron and the longer you use the iron on the spot the worse the adhesion will be.
One additional note do not use it on most batiks ... it stains the fabric( permanetly) . There is some kind of reaction between the chemical residue in some of the batiks and the heat and bond. Test first !! It will show up when the item is sewn on and you are doing a final press at the cotton setting. I found out the hard way. Other brands do not have this issue with batiks. I keep Wonder under and Steam a Seam for my batiks and never had an issue.
Wow, what great information. Thanks for the ideas.