Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
dmackey

I work in a restaurant and I meet people of ALL ages who needed to be drugged.

I have those teens of today, who use the condiments as weapons, make a horrific mess, and don't tip. Then I have those respectful, polite, well brought up kids, who try to tip.

I have that 20 something group who cannot get off their phones and can't look at me when they order because they are too busy texting. They also expect me to be the one to bow to whatever they need to keep their kids quiet, so they can enjoy their meal...they show up completely unprepared to handle or dicipline their own children.

I see the 30ish gang who are on their phones and rudely indicate that I am interrupting them, when I simply introduce myself. I've seen whole families involved with their hand help electronics barely speak a word to each other throughout the meal.

The 40's group are worse than the 30s. They also think I should wait for them to answer their phones in the middle of taking their order.

The 50s group isn't so bad, but they bring in their ill behaved grandkids and think their disrespect is cute. However, they also interrupt what ever anyone else is ordering and try to decide what others should have.

The 60s+ groups are the best of all. Kind, polite, considerate, and even though they can be picky, they do it apologetically.

It's pretty obvious to me which group has the majority of being 'drugged' in their upbringing!

That said, each group has those few gems that I am thankful for.

I am 57, was a single mom, raised a single son by myself, he is now a Major in the Air Force, and he wasn't ever smacked, or grounded. He had to 'pay' for his transgressions by owning up to them and making things right and believe me, he got away with nothing. He is 35, still complains about the way he was brought up, but damn, I'm so proud of that kid, it is worth it! He went to a military academy (his choice) with over 4000 great kids, and a few bad apples.

We hear way too much about the bad apples and not nearly enough about some of the great kids we have out there, and there are plenty of them!

Diane