Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Drug problem, could it be yours too? !!

Editorís note:
    The following letter has appeared on the internet and was viewed by many readers. Many felt it would be appropriate for the readers of Avoyelles Parish.

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ďWhy didnít we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?Ē

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didnít put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in momís garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dadís fields. I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood, and, if my mother had even known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if todayís children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

God bless the parents who drugged us.

Blog Entries
    I remember these "drugs" too :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Hi Chasing Hawk, I am with you on the Drug problem, I had the same as you and if the kids now adays had these kind of drug problems things would be so much better, it didn't kill us it just made us stronger and how to deal with things head on.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What a great read! Thanks for sharing with us :)

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Amen to that!!

My kids had the same drug problem when they grew up

Been drugged my self and have drugged two sons whom have grown up to be fine men any mother would be proud of.

Sounds like my drug problem as a wee folk and I did do my best to pass on the same problems to my kids ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dharen7
    My kids had the same drug problem when they grew up
    Mine too, but one "fell off the wagon" I booted him right back on it....LOL

Tee hee....I was never *drug* out to the woodshed, but I'm thankful my folks were "old school" in the ways of respect. I think my generation was the last. And I just turned 36...

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Amen to that!!
    Right! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I had your durg problem too. I did pass it on to my children who now have children of their own, and they are passing that same drug problem on to them. I like "RESPECT" better than a drug problem. I respected my parents, they respected me. I respected my children, they respect me. My children repect their children...and so on. I don't think so many kids respect anyone, not even themselves. Wish we could go back to those good old drug days.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I remember I was drugged to a row of hedges and made to pick my own switch, with veto power by Mama.

Now I think that hedge row was magnificent and often think of those switches when I pass a similar one. :D

I'd rather be old and tired, than young and foolish.
    Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I remember I was drugged to a row of hedges and made to pick my own switch, with veto power by Mama.

Now I think that hedge row was magnificent and often think of those switches when I pass a similar one. :D

I'd rather be old and tired, than young and foolish.
    Jan in VA
    I remember having to get the "switch" and 9 times out of 10 it was the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Editorís note:
    The following letter has appeared on the internet and was viewed by many readers. Many felt it would be appropriate for the readers of Avoyelles Parish.

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ďWhy didnít we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?Ē

I replied, I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didnít put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in momís garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dadís fields. I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood, and, if my mother had even known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if todayís children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

While amusing, it's wrong. America has had drug problems before this generation. It just wasn't talked about, nor was it Meth. In the 80's it was cocaine to continue to produce more, in the 70's it was lsd and angel dust and heroin, in the 60's it was the same. In the 50's it was alcohol and barbiturates.

It happened to people of good homes and bad homes. Lets not kid ourselves.

Sometimes it just makes me sad when I look at what is happening in America. Foul language, sexual behavior, lack of morals, all seem to be acceptable on TV, movies and in the general population. I guess I am getting old, but it still shocks me the way people are using words(that were absolutely forbidden)freely in shopping malls and public places. I grew up in much more refined, polite times and I miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    Sometimes it just makes me sad when I look at what is happening in America. Foul language, sexual behavior, lack of morals, all seem to be acceptable on TV, movies and in the general population. I guess I am getting old, but it still shocks me the way people are using words(that were absolutely forbidden)freely in shopping malls and public places. I grew up in much more refined, polite times and I miss them.
    Ummm refined polite times? Maam, if you grew up in the 60's and below, you could freely call people of color names, those that are homosexual names, Native Americans got called names, Chinese, mexicans etc.

They weren't any more refined or polite then today.

If a girl was found to be sleeping about, you could freely make aspersions on her character.

Lets not forget the the troubles of The Great Depression.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Editorís note:

While amusing, it's wrong. America has had drug problems before this generation. It just wasn't talked about, nor was it Meth. In the 80's it was cocaine to continue to produce more, in the 70's it was lsd and angel dust and heroin, in the 60's it was the same. In the 50's it was alcohol and barbiturates.

This article was more about being raised with values. The "drug" was firm discipline and a lesson in right and wrong. And not about the drug culture.

I was 'drugged' as a child and 'drugged' my children now 34 and 33. We need more 'mean' mothers and fathers. Does a child good to be 'drugged'.
    If I say anymore, I will get in trouble. (:)

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Editorís note:

This article was more about being raised with values. The "drug" was firm discipline and a lesson in right and wrong. And not about the drug culture.
    I understood the article.

I'm pointing out that it's wrong. Being raised with firm values isn't going to stop someone from being an addict. Nor is it limited to just today's youth. Which frankly is insulting to today's parents. Our generation has issues, and so did yours and the one preceding yours and one preceding that ad nauseum.

I want to point out the original ingredient in coke, was cocaine. Our forefathers used cocaine in their snuff. I would like to point out, you might want to look into what laudanum is. The most addicting drug, is nicotine, which is legal, though taxed to high heaven.

We need this etched in every store and in wood as a sampler in ALL the homes in AMERICA.
    I just love how you worded this and every bit of it is true.
    You Go Girl :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I just don't know where it went wrong in America?????? That the kids nowdays think WE owe THEM????????????? Don't get me started on Education :!: They don't relize that they now can take college classes in HS. How lucky is that??!! I'll get off my soap box, sorry................................

Moon,

You are reading a lot into this article. As I said it was about firm discipline and good values and not about today's or the past drug culture. It maybe insulting to some of today's parents who let their children run amok. I don't care if it is or not.

What is insulting is a 15 yr old cussing you because you accidentally bumped into them and their parent standing there with a glazed look on their face.

My kids were by no means angels and got into trouble, tried drugs and alcohol. But they did know when Mom spoke they listened. I think all my kids grew up to be adults with the values I instilled on them. And being "drug" out behind the proverbial woodshed now and then did them and me (as a kid) some good.

Thanks for posting this...I indeed was "drugged" by my parents too. It made me a better person. I tried to do the same with my children but by then the moral fiber of our time had been ripped and other parents were listening to a different idea about how children should be raised. It is sad when we look around and see how lost and unhappy a lot of people are. To me, that is the "true" meaning of "the good old days". :|

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I was 'drugged' as a child and 'drugged' my children now 34 and 33. We need more 'mean' mothers and fathers. Does a child good to be 'drugged'.
    If I say anymore, I will get in trouble. (:)
    Exactly !!

There is nothing more attention getting then seeing a 5'4" Mom giving the "look" to a son who is 6' 1" and seeing him snap to attention. And this is the same son who I took to the ground when he didn't do as I said.

Blog Entries
    I was one of those children that got "drugged". Thankfully all three of our children have turned out to be great adults. I hope and pray that I'll be able to say that about their children. So far so good, but Olivia is only 15 months. My two adult grandchildren are shaping up pretty good too. Their parents did a good job and yes I do tell that they did a good job.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast