Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 PM
StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
This has been one of the best threads bc I have a LA and have been thinking about using it for profit. I have several questions I know some one here will be able to answer.
Insurance - I am not sure if I understand the reason for this. If something happened wouldn't the person have to prove how much money she had in the quilt? What kind of insurance would you have?
---I have insurance for the machine, supplies, client quilts, and liability.

Why would you have lots of quilts waiting to be quilting? I think I would prefer to never have more than 2 or 3 of other peoples quilts due to storage. Couldn't you call and say you are next, bring your quilt.
---Sometimes you finish sooner than expected and then you would be waiting for someone to bring the next quilt. I keep up to 20 client quilts in the workroom. They are kept neatly hanging, in order, in my workroom closet, each quilt and its backing on an extra large wardrobe hanger, with their work order attached telling me all the pertinent information.

If you charge .01 psi, is that for simple meandering? If so do you charge more if you add curlyques or stars or hearts?
---My lowest price is for a large meander. I have only done that on 3 quilts and I've been in business for 5 years. Meandering is "out" in my area unless it is small background microstippling meanders around appliques. Most of my work is freehand or custom. I do own 60 pantographs but my clientele tend to like freehand better.

How much do you charge for binding, machine different from hand?
---I don't bind, but I do job that out to a wonderful binding lady. She makes the binding, presses it double, attaches it by machine, and turns it by hand. her hand stitches are so tiny and even, you would need a microscope to see them. She basically appliques the binding to the quilt! She charges 25 cents per linear inch for this entire process, and she gets it. For a baby quilt, her binding charge is often equal to my quilting price. And clients pay it without blinking an eye.

Do you use your favorite brand of batting or let the customer choose?
---If my client brings her own batting, I will use it. I stock 3 different kinds of batting (all cotton, 80/20 blend, and all wool) and I have samples showing the different feel and different looks that each of these battings achieves. My client decides what she likes best.

Favorite thread?
---It depends on the quilt. I love Signature A&E cotton thread from NC. I also love Isacord and Aurifil thread. I do NOT use metallic thread. If someone wants a metallic look, I have rayon or poly threads that are very shiny in gold, silver, copper, bronze or hologram for them to choose from, and I have samples of these finished.

Do you trim the quilt after finishing the quilting process?
---No.

What if the quilt is not squared?
---We measure the quilt when the client is here, so we'll know whether it's square or not. If there is any problem like this or open seams, or ripply borders, we discuss what she wants done before she leaves, and then note it on the work order, along with my price for the repair or fix. No surpriises.

Linda Taylor wrote a wonderful book on longarm quilting that gives samples of work orders, client lists, pricing, insurance information and designs. I recommend it to anyone seriously considering going into this business.