Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long armers, do you think there are enough customers... >

Long armers, do you think there are enough customers...

Long armers, do you think there are enough customers...

Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Insurance is for the machine, supplies, plus the quilts you have on hand etc. If you have a fire or a water main breaks, does your homeowner's cover the "business" if you are working out of your home? You may just need an additional rider.

I disagree with the poster who said the Small Business Development Center is not helpful. Ours is excellent. Now that doesnt mean that you will get a loan or be successful, just that they will provide you with a counselor, classes and advice. All for free or maybe 10 bucks. They are your resource center for government loans although that is only a smidgen of what they do. I am a volunteer counselor for the center plus in a couple weeks I will be attending a two hour seminar on advanced marketing concepts.

I think it's a whole lot smarter to talk to business people who have no vested interest in selling you a machine or supplies to help with the decision.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM

I have had my longarm for over a year, and am still practicing... I did one quilt for a friend at no charge with her knowing that I was going to use her for the learning process. My work is good enough that I am proud of it, and I was asked to display it in the shop I bought the longarm, but I still would not take anything on for pay... It has to be perfect when it leaves me if someone is paying for it, and I am not there yet!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
This has been one of the best threads bc I have a LA and have been thinking about using it for profit. I have several questions I know some one here will be able to answer.
Insurance - I am not sure if I understand the reason for this. If something happened wouldn't the person have to prove how much money she had in the quilt? What kind of insurance would you have?
Why would you have lots of quilts waiting to be quilting? I think I would prefer to never have more than 2 or 3 of other peoples quilts due to storage. Couldn't you call and say you are next, bring your quilt.
If you charge .01 psi, is that for simple meandering? If so do you charge more if you add curlyques or stars or hearts?
How much do you charge for binding, machine different from hand?
Do you use your favorite brand of batting or let the customer choose?
Favorite thread?
Do you trim the quilt after finishing the quilting process?
What if the quilt is not squared?
Probably more questions, but can't remember them now. This thread has really gotten me thinking.
Thanking you in advance for the answers.
Just my opinions for the questions above:
1. I have liability insurance in case a customer should fall at my house/studio. I have insurance to cover the machine and all my supplies/equipment in case of a fire or other accident.
2. I have 15 quilts waiting because when a customer is ready to have a quilt done, they will take it somewhere else if I don't accept it. I tell them how long it will be before I can get to it, usually a month or less. If they are in a hurry, I may bump it up before some of the others. If it's a customer who is chronically doing this, they have to wait or take it elsewhere. I keep 2 large totes under my machine and 2 more under my cutting table, where I keep quilts that are waiting. I make slips of paper with each quilt, with the customer's name, date they brought the quilt, and type of quilting to be done, etc.
3. In my area, my prices are slightly lower than average. I want to rely on repeat customers. I charge 1 1/4¢ PSI for simple meandering and simple pantographs. It's 1 1/2¢ PSI for more intricate pantographs, 1 3/4¢ for complicated pantos and simple custom work. It can go over 2¢ PSI for detailed custom work like feathers, loopy fill, ruler work, or circles or cross-hatching with the attachments. I have a minimum charge of $25 for any work done on any quilt, including crib quilts.
4. Batting: I have room to store 3 rolls of batting hanging from the ceiling. I keep 100% cotton, 80/20, and PolyDown, all which I buy from a Hobbs distributor. I sell it for around the same price as the quilt shops and JoAnn's. I tell my customers they are welcome to buy it from me or they can bring their own batting.
5. Thread: I stock a lot of colors of Superior Threads because they run well in my machine. I also have some Gutterman Industrial thread, because they have more color selection, and it also runs good in my machine. Other threads I have tried tend to break. I don't charge extra for thread; it is part of the quilting price.
6. I don't trim the quilt after quilting unless the customer asks me to. I don't do binding unless it's a special case where the customer is having something quilted that she didn't make, and she doesn't sew. I charge 10¢ per running inch and I do it all on the machine.
7. If the quilt is not square, I either charge the customer to square it up or I give it back. I show them what's wrong, and if I think I can fix it, I let them decide if they want to pay me to do it.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
This has been one of the best threads bc I have a LA and have been thinking about using it for profit. I have several questions I know some one here will be able to answer.
Insurance - I am not sure if I understand the reason for this. If something happened wouldn't the person have to prove how much money she had in the quilt? What kind of insurance would you have?
Why would you have lots of quilts waiting to be quilting? I think I would prefer to never have more than 2 or 3 of other peoples quilts due to storage. Couldn't you call and say you are next, bring your quilt.
If you charge .01 psi, is that for simple meandering? If so do you charge more if you add curlyques or stars or hearts?
Favorite thread?
Probably more questions, but can't remember them now. This thread has really gotten me thinking.
Thanking you in advance for the answers.
Just my opinions for the questions above:
1. I have liability insurance in case a customer should fall at my house/studio. I have insurance to cover the machine and all my supplies/equipment in case of a fire or other accident.
2. I have 15 quilts waiting because when a customer is ready to have a quilt done, they will take it somewhere else if I don't accept it. I tell them how long it will be before I can get to it, usually a month or less. If they are in a hurry, I may bump it up before some of the others. If it's a customer who is chronically doing this, they have to wait or take it elsewhere. I keep 2 large totes under my machine and 2 more under my cutting table, where I keep quilts that are waiting. I make slips of paper with each quilt, with the customer's name, date they brought the quilt, and type of quilting to be done, etc.
3. In my area, my prices are slightly lower than average. I want to rely on repeat customers. I charge 1 1/4¢ PSI for simple meandering and simple pantographs. It's 1 1/2¢ PSI for more intricate pantographs, 1 3/4¢ for complicated pantos and simple custom work. It can go over 2¢ PSI for detailed custom work like feathers, loopy fill, ruler work, or circles or cross-hatching with the attachments. I have a minimum charge of $25 for any work done on any quilt, including crib quilts.
4. Batting: I have room to store 3 rolls of batting hanging from the ceiling. I keep 100% cotton, 80/20, and PolyDown, all which I buy from a Hobbs distributor. I sell it for around the same price as the quilt shops and JoAnn's. I tell my customers they are welcome to buy it from me or they can bring their own batting.
5. Thread: I stock a lot of colors of Superior Threads because they run well in my machine. I also have some Gutterman Industrial thread, because they have more color selection, and it also runs good in my machine. Other threads I have tried tend to break. I don't charge extra for thread; it is part of the quilting price.
6. I don't trim the quilt after quilting unless the customer asks me to. I don't do binding unless it's a special case where the customer is having something quilted that she didn't make, and she doesn't sew. I charge 10¢ per running inch and I do it all on the machine.
7. If the quilt is not square, I either charge the customer to square it up or I give it back. I show them what's wrong, and if I think I can fix it, I let them decide if they want to pay me to do it.
Thank you so much for answering all my questions.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 PM

---I have insurance for the machine, supplies, client quilts, and liability.

---Sometimes you finish sooner than expected and then you would be waiting for someone to bring the next quilt. I keep up to 20 client quilts in the workroom. They are kept neatly hanging, in order, in my workroom closet, each quilt and its backing on an extra large wardrobe hanger, with their work order attached telling me all the pertinent information.

---My lowest price is for a large meander. I have only done that on 3 quilts and I've been in business for 5 years. Meandering is "out" in my area unless it is small background microstippling meanders around appliques. Most of my work is freehand or custom. I do own 60 pantographs but my clientele tend to like freehand better.

---I don't bind, but I do job that out to a wonderful binding lady. She makes the binding, presses it double, attaches it by machine, and turns it by hand. her hand stitches are so tiny and even, you would need a microscope to see them. She basically appliques the binding to the quilt! She charges 25 cents per linear inch for this entire process, and she gets it. For a baby quilt, her binding charge is often equal to my quilting price. And clients pay it without blinking an eye.

---If my client brings her own batting, I will use it. I stock 3 different kinds of batting (all cotton, 80/20 blend, and all wool) and I have samples showing the different feel and different looks that each of these battings achieves. My client decides what she likes best.

Favorite thread?
---It depends on the quilt. I love Signature A&E cotton thread from NC. I also love Isacord and Aurifil thread. I do NOT use metallic thread. If someone wants a metallic look, I have rayon or poly threads that are very shiny in gold, silver, copper, bronze or hologram for them to choose from, and I have samples of these finished.

---No.

---We measure the quilt when the client is here, so we'll know whether it's square or not. If there is any problem like this or open seams, or ripply borders, we discuss what she wants done before she leaves, and then note it on the work order, along with my price for the repair or fix. No surpriises.

Linda Taylor wrote a wonderful book on longarm quilting that gives samples of work orders, client lists, pricing, insurance information and designs. I recommend it to anyone seriously considering going into this business.