View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Well, the cameras didn't make it into the box of quilts, I'm so sorry. :oops: I'll get them in the next one for sure.

Meanwhile, Bert learned today of their shipment. It appears it will take between 14-20 days for the box to arrive, although, it's a huge one, so that may affect how it's handled. Pray it makes it safely!!

Next time I'm going to duct tape the heck outta that box BEFORE I take it to the post office! The cute postmaster of my little rural post office is so helpful and so interested/supportive of this project. He took my flyer to the Ruritan Club meeting last month and came back with a $50 check from them!

Things like that are happening all the time; sometimes I wish you all could ride around in my pocket and see what I do during a day for this project, it's so fun! And amazing how it touches people.

DD and SIL talk by phone every few days, sometimes twice on weekends, as they will this one. No internet availability. :cry:
I will remind her to ask him to be sure to take pictures for us; just not sure how we'll get them, but I know they MUST be sending photos back and forth.

By the way, he says things have been quiet there for a while (read SAFE!) and they are feeling a bit less stressed. They are having a mustache growing contest, in which his was complimented by one of the village elders, LOL! I guess to the Afghanis, all soldiers look alike, with their buzzed haircuts, the identical sand camo uniforms and all that paraphernalia they carry around. The different colors of the mustaches help to differentiate the men. Bert who has dark brown hair, for instance, has an auburn 'stache, he reports.

Tomorrow I will be sitting at another event with other old-timey crafters to demonstrate quilting. I volunteered for this event before the Military Barracks Quilt Project came to be, but I'm glad to do it because I can pass out more flyers to raise funds for MBQP! It's promising to be a gorgeous day and I'm hoping for a wonderful turnout at this event which was designed to raise funds for restoring a beautiful old local grain mill. Homemade Brunswick Stew on site for lunch, yippee!

The first weekend in November we will host a sew-in at the gorgeous Bedford County Welcome Center. The room is fabulous with huge windows on three sides overlooking the mountains, an attached kitchen, lots of tables and chairs already available, and a staff excited we are going to be there for 2 full days. We'll serve donated food and drink and have door prizes donated by local merchants. I plan to have a ton of tops batted, basted, quilted and bound those days.

If you live anywhere near us, please think about coming to town for the weekend and participating. I'd just LOVE to meet some of you! Super 8 has a nice motel very close by, with all interior rooms, and views over the mountains. Or there are local B&Bs. Bedford is a sweet town to rest and relax and eat and sew in!! Y'all come!

Hey, Ann, thanks for the heads up about the vino -- I'll have to hit them up for a door prize donation!

Jan in VA