View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
pgthom

Originally Posted by annlouise
I need to cut 8 long strips (8" x 75") for my quilt. I bought 4 yards of the fabric from Joannes and washed it last night and it now doesn't line up as I fold it trying to get the selvages lined up. I am trying to cut it a few inches over 2 yards first and then I can cut the 8" strips, but the bulk is hard to manage and I can't get it lined up.
How do you do it?
Annlouise: Sounds like you need to "true" up your fabric. Enlist a friend, stretch it out and each take an end. Pull on the ends diagonally (opposite corners) and try to lengthen the side that is short, and even up the sides. Sometimes fabrics get wound "wonky" on the bolt and with tension, which stretches them. When you washed it, the sizing came out and it went out of square. It will be easier if you cut a generous 75" and stretch and square that, then do the rest. Also, remember to spray starch when pressing. That will help with the cutting process. When I learned to sew, over 50 yrs. ago, that was always what you did before cutting your fabric. If this doesn't make sense, PM me. Good luck!!