Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help understanding cutting fabric ???? >

Help understanding cutting fabric ????

Help understanding cutting fabric ????

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM

I need to cut 8 long strips (8" x 75") for my quilt. I bought 4 yards of the fabric from Joannes and washed it last night and it now doesn't line up as I fold it trying to get the selvages lined up. I am trying to cut it a few inches over 2 yards first and then I can cut the 8" strips, but the bulk is hard to manage and I can't get it lined up.
How do you do it?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 PM

If you have more fabric than you'll need for these strips and aren't afraid to waste a little...I'd cut out a piece larger than I want and not worry about precise sizes..for example, measure 8 inches from one selvedge and tear it at that point till you get a strip that is about 77 inches long - if you measure along the selvedge to about 77 inches and mark it with a pin you'll know where to stop tearing...then, once you get that piece separate from the main piece of fabric, you can more easily cut it to size...if you're confident enough, tear your piece about 19 inches wide by about 77 then fold it in half and cut the two at the same time to the exact size. would that work for you?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:56 PM

I would not tear the strips, as it causes the edges to stretch

Iron your fabric open. Then make new folds down the middle as it sounds like the fabric was not folded on the bolt correctly.

Then carefully fold the fabric in half lengthwise, lining up the edges, fold again carefully. Then you should be able to fit it onto your cutting mat. (2 yds folded to 1 yard, folded to 1/2 yard)
You gotta be carefull to line up the edges before cuttying, you might even want to iron it as you go to make the folds sharp and even.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by annlouise
I need to cut 8 long strips (8" x 75") for my quilt. I bought 4 yards of the fabric from Joannes and washed it last night and it now doesn't line up as I fold it trying to get the selvages lined up. I am trying to cut it a few inches over 2 yards first and then I can cut the 8" strips, but the bulk is hard to manage and I can't get it lined up.
How do you do it?
Annlouise: Sounds like you need to "true" up your fabric. Enlist a friend, stretch it out and each take an end. Pull on the ends diagonally (opposite corners) and try to lengthen the side that is short, and even up the sides. Sometimes fabrics get wound "wonky" on the bolt and with tension, which stretches them. When you washed it, the sizing came out and it went out of square. It will be easier if you cut a generous 75" and stretch and square that, then do the rest. Also, remember to spray starch when pressing. That will help with the cutting process. When I learned to sew, over 50 yrs. ago, that was always what you did before cutting your fabric. If this doesn't make sense, PM me. Good luck!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:01 PM

I remember my Home Ec teacher having us do that. I had forgotten all about it.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Thank you for these suggestions. Yes the fabric was wrinkled on the bolt and looked off to me but I thought it would still true up. Yes I will cut a generous 77 off and then work with that to square the edges from that point.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM

I would cut across the grain/shorter pieces and piece together. Is this piece for a border or binding? When I piece I usually do a bias seam instead of a straight seam.

I hate working with the length wise piece of fabric because of the bulk and the quantity you have to buy to get a continuous piece of fabric.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:16 PM

I would scoot my 6 x 24" ruler along the selvage cutting a straight line as I go--keeping the ruler as absolutely straight and as close to parallel with the selvage as possible until I reach a couple inches past the maximum length I need. Since you're wanting an 8" wide strip--I would then have to switch to my 15" square ruler and line it up on the 8" line with my now straight cut edge and then scoot it down, cutting 12" or so at a time.

Personally, unless this was some kind of large print that absolutely had to match, I would cut it width of fabric & piece the borders. With a smaller print, you can usually line it up well enough to piece it without having to go through all the scooting & snipping.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Thank you, this is for a row of solid fabric between each pieced row - thus the 8 strips.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Since it is a solid, I would definitely cut it width of fabric. If you seam it on a 45 dgree & press it open, the seam will be almost invisible--especially after it is quilted and wrinkles up a little bit.