View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 AM
piepatch

This is off the subject a little, but I just remembered that my father in law used to put horehound candy in a jar and pour whiskey over it and let it "set". If I remember right, the whiskey would sort of melt the candy into a syrup that he used for cough medicine. I had never heard of horehound candy before I saw him do this. This is something I found online about horehound candy:

Once upon a time, candy was the way to treat sore throats and upset stomachs. Peppermint sticks and cough drops delivered a quick and easy dose for those who were feeling under the weather. Horehound candy is part of this primarily European tradition.

Horehound is a member of the mint family and was used to soothe sore throats, stimulate appetite, and as a relief for gas. While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has found horehound to be mostly ineffective, other countries have found horehound effective as an anti-inflammatory and for relief for bronchial complaints. Testing is being done in the U.S., France, and Germany to uncover all the possible purposes horehound may be hiding. Some studies are promising in showing that horehound may have medicinal properties.