View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
kellen46

[why in the world am I doing quilts??? triangles, squares, circles, etc etc, and I laugh about it ! the formulas and all, thats what messed me up in math!!! still funny to me......... BUT this is more fun! thought I would add that.[/quote]

It is not that you cannot do math....you do math all the time. It is that the way you were taught was not working. You are obviously a global thinker. We all have different ways of learning, some are linear some are not, unfortunately most classes are taught in only one limited way. When you do math for a quilt you think in terms of the whole and then the parts. So many half square triangles, so many squares then you put it together math wise....four patches to make up one square and so on and so forth. If you had been taught geometry with quilt squares you would have gotten it right away, same with fractions, and so on. I used to work with low IQ residents teaching them living skills. They could all learn, the challenge was for me to teach them in a way they could learn...would that all teachers were able to do so. My oldest son who is very bright is a multi-dyslectic. He had nothing but trouble in school and hated it. I tried to help the school understand he was a kinetic learner and what worked with him but they were not interested in hearing me. He graduated from college with a BA magna cum laude after years of undoing the damage done to him by standard teaching methods. He also acted as a mentor and tutor to other dyslectic college students. There are no can-not's in learning only unsuitable teaching methods. Find your own way and you will do fine.