View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 PM
lab fairy

I have no problem making fun of myself because...why not? My children do it often. I'm a classic nerd with labcoat and goggles. My self esteem is very healthy, my intelligence has never been in question, and there are many things I can NOT do (walk a tightrope, sit through really LONG meetings with nothing to do). The only time I'm really bummed is when the computer eats something important that I forgot to backup.

I decided to get in touch with the right side of my brain (I'm very left-brain and linear) and make a quilt. In this process I discovered that I am "color challenged" and heavily patterned designs make it harder. Once I figured that out things improved because I developed strategies to overcome that. I make fun of my mistakes all the time because they are really funny. I can resew the same seam three times, not notice stripes are in the wrong direction, etc. and never notice until later. Goofy, yes, laugh worthy, you bet.

Nothing is a failure if you learn from mistakes (in engineering this is called a good failure), share a giggle and a smile, eat some chocolate... Sometimes I see bark and not the tree. Not always a bad thing just differently challenged I guess.