View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by kristen0112
We have manufactured homes in Oregon, and 'parks'. When I was a teenager we lived in one. It had a pool, and recreation center with conference rooms or rooms for holding a party. They had social functions planned for the community. We had to have a car it was not close to anything. It was okay.
BUT I would never live in a manufactured home in the South, I wouldn't consider it safe since a tornado or hurricane would smash it to pieces.
I am a transplanted Floridian now living in GA. I had a Double Wide...3 BR. 2 Full Bath. Livingrm.,Den Dining room,utility for washer and dryer. Beautiful Home. In PalmBeach co. On Lake Okeecobee which is 40 miles by 60 miles. Lived there all my life until now. My Home went thru. the first 2 Hurricanes in 2005.. First one did no damage at all,but took shingles off my neighbors CBS home, Concert Block Struct. Did several thousands of dollars damage to her home and a lot of others. We felt so blessed. Second Took the torched down roof off and several pieces of plywood decking. But that was the only damage, Water is what did the damage and mold afterwards. Walls still stood only Roof came off on one side and it just peel off from the constant wind. Still had decking except for the several that went with torchdown roof. Lost it and some material things not much, was blessed got insurance money after only a short delay.
This kind of home is not for anyone to stay in during hurricanes. But not many homes are if it is a strong hurricane. Like Andrew in FL. Took everything in its path. You just use common sense if you live in the South. Like you would if you lived where the thornados go thru. In south Fl. you see very few Twisters which you don't have a warning from. Hurricanes You are given updates constantly thru your local radio and TV stations. So you know when to Evac.
Mobile homes or Modular homes which is the same except they take the axels and tires and put it on a foundation can be as beautiful and cost as much as a built home. Before moveing where we are,My DH BIL works for a mobile home company. We were looking at them, One I loved Which they called a modular was over $300,00.00 LOL!!! It had an upstairs a whole 2nd level. BEAUTIFUL!!!
BillsBonBon