View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by lab fairy
For those with a math block... you just didn't meet the right instructor. My husband took College Algebra 5 times before he passed (his K-12 education was... eh). The man has two degrees and one is in Physics with a minor in math. Never let something stop you from doing what you want to do. He thinks geometry is a breeze. I'm just the opposite. I got the pity grade in geometry (my minor is also in math) but love Algebra. Between the two of us, we make one math person. Isn't it great how people can complete one another?

I am as my daughter describes "disturbingly linear". Quilting has been an interesting experience. Measurement, calculation and understanding the mechanics is a breeze but (sigh) color. It will eat my lunch every time. I just look at it as part of the amusement. Like today when I put together a block and somehow the ghosts were upside down on one of the blocks. I didn't notice until I took the picture. Somehow it ALWAYS shows up in the picture. At least this time I noticed before I mailed it.
Lets face it, we all have our easies and our hard to do. However that should never be an excuse to beat ourselves up as stupid or not good enough. Easy is, well easy, get past it and revel in challenging the hard to do. Some of us are linear learners, some kinetic, others are global. I say all together it makes us stronger. Learning is a joy and always a surprise. We make quilts which is math on several levels but if we make a mistake in balancing the check book we stop and say we can not do math. It is all about self perception and the script we sell ourselves. What would this world be like if we all just wrote ourselves a better script.