Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM
carolaug

Thank-you this is really helpful. I would not spend 500.00 on any of my quilts...I am not that good. this gives me an idea of the costs. Now to see how much per inch they are charging.
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
There's not really a single "going rate." It really depends on what style of quilting you want. For pantograms most longarmers in my area charge a penny and a half a square inch. If you use an average size for a queen size quilt of 84 X 92 the quilting would be 115.92 plus possibly thread and batting charges and in some places taxes. A pantogram is a single, edge to edge, all over quilt design. Once you get into custom and heirloom quilting the prices jump considerably. A local longarm quilter here charges 5 cents a square inch for heavy custom work and 7 cents for heirloom work. There are also additional charges for turning the quilt and thread changes. So that same 84 X 92 inch quilt would cost 540.96 plus turning, thread changes, batting and taxes for heirloom quilting.

Quilting can make take a quilt from ordinary to spectacular or it can ruin it. I saw a Vintage Valentine quilt at the quilt show in Loveland that was pretty much ruined by the quilting. The Vintage Valentine quilt is a gorgeous block of the month appliqued quilt and the quilting on that one was a simple all over meander. It made what should have been a spectacular quilt very ordinary, verging on ugly.