Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A gentle discussion about paying a long arm quilter and what is a reasonable rate? >

A gentle discussion about paying a long arm quilter and what is a reasonable rate?

A gentle discussion about paying a long arm quilter and what is a reasonable rate?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM

I usally hand quilt but recently had my last quilt done by a local machine quilter. I knew his work was excellant and told him to do whatever on the quilt. It cost me $150 for a quilt about 100 x 120. He did a beautiful job and choose a beautiful design. I will be using him again. It saved me hours of work. I was told the cost would depend on whether I wanted special designs, threads etc. I provided the batting and backing.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 PM
JJs
Banned

Most people don't realize that mounting the quilt/backing/batting on the frame takes time and effort.
When I was having quilts done at the LQS (which went out of business) they were only charging $40 for a double quilt and that included their batting (with you supplying the backing)

I've since gotten a Bailey and frame and frankly I wouldn't bother to put a quilt on the frame for only $40! I'll do freebies for my daughter but won't do any quilting for anybody but myself.

People try to guilt you into doing quilts for them - "you have a machine and frame, don't you feel selfish?"
NO I DO NOT.... I might if someone, somewhere had GIVEN me the setup and said go forth and quilt for the masses for free.... but they didn't, I had to - get this - pay MONEY $$$ for the frame and machine.... so I don't have any problem at all saying a resounding NO!

I did quilt a quilt for the guild that was being given to a charity for a raffle - wasn't paid penny one and guess who supplied the back and batting - I did, the quilt was taken from my hand, I got a "thank you" and that was it - no, 'do you have a bill' or what do we owe you for the back/batting or anything - keep in mind that the guild PAID THE LQS to do the quilt they did but since I have my own setup I guess they figured I'd do everything free - well, that came to a screeching halt -
call me a mean ole crabby old lady but there ya go..

I did pay more for each of the quilts I had done at the LQS - because I had special pantos done or one thing or another. It's a good idea to have everything in writing or at least an estimate so the you don't have sticker shock and you have a general idea of what you will be paying. Fancy costs more, larger quilts cost more, backing and or batting costs more.
My friend has all of her quilts done by a LA quilter - and the prices vary by what is done. Some she is very specific about what she wants, some she leaves up to the quilter, but she always knows 'about' what it is going to cost...