View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by adyldrop
I want to make a quilt for my lovely boss for christmas...I have all the fabrics and a lovely matching fleece for the back. I'd like to do a quilt as you go so I can definitely get it done in time. I don't want to have strips on the fleece backing so I figured I'd attach the back pieces together after each piece is quilted and leave the strips for the front. My problem is I do not want a lot of sashing to "match" ( cuz i know it all won't) on the front. So then my thought was to quilt-as-i-go with either a) a muslin backing and then baste to the fleece as a top and and hand quilt--it would be a lot less handquilting than usual. OR b) i can nix the muslin and use a warm and natural batting or thin fleece and then baste as a quilt with a little handquilting.
My main problem is deciding on a pattern that will allow me to split the lap quilt into 3 main pieces and not have weird sashing throwing it off. Anyone of you smarties have an idea as to a pattern I could use that wouldn't accentuate the sashing in the front??
I think you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. If you're using fleece for the backing and not using a batting you should just make the top and then give it minimal quilting in the ditch on the block seam lines. If you did that you should have it done in plenty of time for Christmas.