Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
okie dokie smarties i need advice! >

okie dokie smarties i need advice!

okie dokie smarties i need advice!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 PM

i always use fleece as my backing cuz it's more cozy and i always hand quilt it.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM

How big did is this quilt going to be? Fleece is very smooshable so quilting it at the machine after you've got the top together shouldn't be much of a problem unless it's king size.

If you would rather, you can "birth" it with the fleece backing. If you were to smooth & baste it well without stretching it, birthing should work well. Put the top and fleece right sides together, smooth it all out & pin or spray baste it all together. Sew all around the edges except for about an 8" opening. Take out all the pins if you used pins, and turn it right side out. Just tack it, stitch in the ditch or handquilt it and you're finished. I like to sew around the outside edge again when it's turned right side out to make it "look" like binding.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...__D991465.html
there is a free quilt as you go pattern here.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:20 PM

so now i'm thinking maybe a rag quilt would be my best bet???
Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 PM

[quote=BKrenning]
If you would rather, you can "birth" it with the fleece backing. If you were to smooth & baste it well without stretching it, birthing should work well. Put the top and fleece right sides together, smooth it all out & pin or spray baste it all together. Sew all around the edges except for about an 8" opening. Take out all the pins if you used pins, and turn it right side out.

When I saw "birth" it, I thought "what the.." and had no idea what you meant. Thank goodness you explained it. I've always heard this called the pillowcase method.
Thanks for the "birth" of enlightenment! :oops: :lol:
Old 10-17-2010, 03:50 PM

hand quilting fleece is hard to do but not impossible. I usually quilt cotton with a #11 needle but you'll probably need at least a #9 to go through fleece. Don't expect tiny stitches either. Don't ask me how I know!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by adyldrop
i want to use batting. I just don't want to have seams all along the fleece batting. Or seams running along the front that don't match up...
You may have to go with either or. Either use fleece and no batting or use batting and a regular cotton backing. If there are any seams in the fleece they'll be very bulky so you really want to leave it whole.

Quilt as you go is done block by block as a rule. You might be able to do a quilt as you go if you make each block and then do a sort of quilt as you go in just the block seams and sew them to the fleece whole. But that still leaves out batting.
I just finished doing a quilt where I QAYG in two lines. and the fleece on the back does not have any extra bulk at all. All I need to do now is put on the borders and bind it, that is easy to do since I left extra wadding and backing fabric to cover the borders.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM

see now i knew it was possible!! can you show me some pics of your project please?!