Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: okie dokie smarties i need advice!

  1. #1
    Senior Member adyldrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    897
    I want to make a quilt for my lovely boss for christmas...I have all the fabrics and a lovely matching fleece for the back. I'd like to do a quilt as you go so I can definitely get it done in time. I don't want to have strips on the fleece backing so I figured I'd attach the back pieces together after each piece is quilted and leave the strips for the front. My problem is I do not want a lot of sashing to "match" ( cuz i know it all won't) on the front. So then my thought was to quilt-as-i-go with either a) a muslin backing and then baste to the fleece as a top and and hand quilt--it would be a lot less handquilting than usual. OR b) i can nix the muslin and use a warm and natural batting or thin fleece and then baste as a quilt with a little handquilting.
    My main problem is deciding on a pattern that will allow me to split the lap quilt into 3 main pieces and not have weird sashing throwing it off. Anyone of you smarties have an idea as to a pattern I could use that wouldn't accentuate the sashing in the front??

  2. #2
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,349
    Blog Entries
    2
    hmmm, i made one with backing fabric for each square larger, then sewed two sqs together with the backing as the seam, then folded one blks backing over and over again onto one block. pinned. then folded the other backing over and over onto the other block. blanket stitched them down and continued adding blks this way until i had a row. then sewed rows together this way.

    back with two backing fabrics
    Name:  Attachment-112206.jpe
Views: 80
Size:  63.0 KB

    front
    Name:  Attachment-112207.jpe
Views: 84
Size:  91.7 KB

    close up
    Name:  Attachment-112507.jpe
Views: 80
Size:  50.5 KB

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    hmmm, i made one with backing fabric for each square larger, then sewed two sqs together with the backing as the seam, then folded one blks backing over and over again onto one block. pinned. then folded the other backing over and over onto the other block. blanket stitched them down and continued adding blks this way until i had a row. then sewed rows together this way.
    -----------------------------------------
    Are we talking here about a process more or less like the lovely
    Cathedral Window? Otherwise I'm kinda confused, but the end result is sure pretty. And it looks sturdy and should last many years.

  4. #4
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    I want to make a quilt for my lovely boss for christmas...I have all the fabrics and a lovely matching fleece for the back. I'd like to do a quilt as you go so I can definitely get it done in time. I don't want to have strips on the fleece backing so I figured I'd attach the back pieces together after each piece is quilted and leave the strips for the front. My problem is I do not want a lot of sashing to "match" ( cuz i know it all won't) on the front. So then my thought was to quilt-as-i-go with either a) a muslin backing and then baste to the fleece as a top and and hand quilt--it would be a lot less handquilting than usual. OR b) i can nix the muslin and use a warm and natural batting or thin fleece and then baste as a quilt with a little handquilting.
    My main problem is deciding on a pattern that will allow me to split the lap quilt into 3 main pieces and not have weird sashing throwing it off. Anyone of you smarties have an idea as to a pattern I could use that wouldn't accentuate the sashing in the front??
    I think you're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. If you're using fleece for the backing and not using a batting you should just make the top and then give it minimal quilting in the ditch on the block seam lines. If you did that you should have it done in plenty of time for Christmas.

  5. #5
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    Kaye Wood has a quilt as you go pattern and it has no sashing.

    http://www.kayewood.com/item/6_Hour_...E_Book/406/c54

    You can make it as big as you want. I have made several.

  6. #6
    Senior Member adyldrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    897
    i want to use batting. I just don't want to have seams all along the fleece batting. Or seams running along the front that don't match up...

  7. #7
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    i want to use batting. I just don't want to have seams all along the fleece batting. Or seams running along the front that don't match up...
    You may have to go with either or. Either use fleece and no batting or use batting and a regular cotton backing. If there are any seams in the fleece they'll be very bulky so you really want to leave it whole.

    Quilt as you go is done block by block as a rule. You might be able to do a quilt as you go if you make each block and then do a sort of quilt as you go in just the block seams and sew them to the fleece whole. But that still leaves out batting.

  8. #8
    Senior Member adyldrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    897
    that's why i was thinking to do a block by block quilt as i go and then once i have a top done then baste that and hand quilt a bit to the fleece backing. That way i don't have to hand quilt every seam and it's more managable when I do quilt it to have it half-quilted so to speak.

  9. #9
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    that's why i was thinking to do a block by block quilt as i go and then once i have a top done then baste that and hand quilt a bit to the fleece backing. That way i don't have to hand quilt every seam and it's more managable when I do quilt it to have it half-quilted so to speak.
    Hand quilting fleece is going to be difficult at best. And time consuming too.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    why do you want to use fleece. Appears to me that is just making the process more difficult with quilt as you go.

  11. #11
    Senior Member adyldrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    897
    i always use fleece as my backing cuz it's more cozy and i always hand quilt it.

  12. #12
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    How big did is this quilt going to be? Fleece is very smooshable so quilting it at the machine after you've got the top together shouldn't be much of a problem unless it's king size.

    If you would rather, you can "birth" it with the fleece backing. If you were to smooth & baste it well without stretching it, birthing should work well. Put the top and fleece right sides together, smooth it all out & pin or spray baste it all together. Sew all around the edges except for about an 8" opening. Take out all the pins if you used pins, and turn it right side out. Just tack it, stitch in the ditch or handquilt it and you're finished. I like to sew around the outside edge again when it's turned right side out to make it "look" like binding.

  13. #13
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,349
    Blog Entries
    2
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...__D991465.html
    there is a free quilt as you go pattern here.

  14. #14
    Senior Member adyldrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    897
    so now i'm thinking maybe a rag quilt would be my best bet???

  15. #15
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,328
    Blog Entries
    1
    [quote=BKrenning]
    If you would rather, you can "birth" it with the fleece backing. If you were to smooth & baste it well without stretching it, birthing should work well. Put the top and fleece right sides together, smooth it all out & pin or spray baste it all together. Sew all around the edges except for about an 8" opening. Take out all the pins if you used pins, and turn it right side out.

    When I saw "birth" it, I thought "what the.." and had no idea what you meant. Thank goodness you explained it. I've always heard this called the pillowcase method.
    Thanks for the "birth" of enlightenment! :oops: :lol:

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    hand quilting fleece is hard to do but not impossible. I usually quilt cotton with a #11 needle but you'll probably need at least a #9 to go through fleece. Don't expect tiny stitches either. Don't ask me how I know!!!!!!

















    39

  17. #17
    Super Member Annya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by adyldrop
    i want to use batting. I just don't want to have seams all along the fleece batting. Or seams running along the front that don't match up...
    You may have to go with either or. Either use fleece and no batting or use batting and a regular cotton backing. If there are any seams in the fleece they'll be very bulky so you really want to leave it whole.

    Quilt as you go is done block by block as a rule. You might be able to do a quilt as you go if you make each block and then do a sort of quilt as you go in just the block seams and sew them to the fleece whole. But that still leaves out batting.
    I just finished doing a quilt where I QAYG in two lines. and the fleece on the back does not have any extra bulk at all. All I need to do now is put on the borders and bind it, that is easy to do since I left extra wadding and backing fabric to cover the borders.

  18. #18
    Senior Member adyldrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    897
    see now i knew it was possible!! can you show me some pics of your project please?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.