Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
okie quilter

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
no offense here, friend. you have a valid concern. i am not presumpuously responding for all readers but this is my personal view. remember that we use starch for piecing accuracy and then closely stitch when quilting for dimension and strength. hopefully using either wool or warm n natural or some equivalent of batting. usually the first thing i do, even if it is a gift, is to wash on gentle cycle with detergent (for cleansing), vinegar (to set dyes), and little softener. then the quilt will puff and fluff in the dryer. it will then wrap around you like loving arms. totally improves quilt's personality. mom would always hand launder and hang across 2 or 4 lines so the quilt would lie flat and i'll never forget the sunshine aroma or soft touch after it was almost dry and she would use clothes pins to hang it so the winds could fluff it. trust me, the quilt will no longer be flat or stiff. worth a try. you create the quilt but the laundering gives it life. if you try that, you will be amazed at the difference. i always baste a little typed note to the quilt that it has been laundered and ready for use. i notice the first response is they grab the quilt and snuggle it. that makes it all worth while. i hope this has not bored you. it is meant to encourage you. keep quilting....your friend, johnnye