Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

Banned
    I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
    I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.

I guess I haven't seen any quilts posted lately that your posting describes? It's all about preference. Your favorite color may be blue, mine is isn't.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh this is funny!! Once my young son said to me "Mom, quilts are cold" !!!
    I almost fell over laughing. I explained to him that you usually need more than one to get all snuggly and I gave hime a couple of others.
    Most of my quilts are cotton batted, not quilted to death, but not as warm, so we use lots of them :D
    I also think if your post offends anyone, they need to get a sense of humor :D:D

I have used very close stitching from time to time to accent areas of my quilt. I makes the unquilted areas stand out more. I also like it on wall or art quilts, gives them character. I would not like it on a quilt for cuddling up under on the couch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
    I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
    I like a comfy quilt too.

However, everything artsitsic is subject to trends and quilting is the same. The current trend in JUDGED SHOWS is densely quilted work.

When I want to quilt the dickens out of something, I use a wool batting. It has a high loft and it weighs nothing!

Blog Entries
    This is where good quality thin thread and excellent batting comes into the mix. Very thin thread like silk, and wool or silk batting will give you a very soft drapable quilt even if it's quilted 1/16" apart. Most National Quilt show winners are heavily quilted and machine quilting is very popular now.

When I first started quilting I thought all quilts needed to be 4 or 5 inches high and all puffy looking. Well it was the 70's and that was the still when poly batting was all in the rage.

Now we seem to be in a fashion of flatter, 100% cotton closely quilted, as you stated.

But I say, make whatever makes you happy and there are many great quilts made both ways!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I also think if your post offends anyone, they need to get a sense of humor :D:D
    I agree with sue. You are just asking a question. Nothing wrong with that.

Some quilts are more for a certain look, some are more utilitarian. I don't quilt mine that closely, but some do. It's just preference.

Blog Entries
    We have discussed this before. Some people do not want densely quilted quilts. Some people really like the fancy dense quilting. SID seems to be really popular on this forum, and I really don't enjoy doing that type of quilting. It really is a matter of personal preference and sometimes the use of a quilt. If it is a show quilt, the tendency will be for very dense quilting to show off the quilting. Just depends... I put quite a bit of quilting on mine, because I am practicing the free motion quilting. If not I would have to make a zillion quilts to practice on.

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    I have used very close stitching from time to time to accent areas of my quilt. I makes the unquilted areas stand out more. I also like it on wall or art quilts, gives them character. I would not like it on a quilt for cuddling up under on the couch, though.
    My thoughts exactly.

I haven't yet quilted anything bigger than a wall hanging, but when I do I want it to be soft and fluffy and warm. :)

I can confess to the over quilting but once I washed it it was so soft and really didn't make a difference. It was my first time and I would do it again maybe not as close but I really liked the effect. I like how you worded this I would have asked the same question.

The thing that makes this board so great is that we all have our own opinions but respect the opinions of others. Some like puffy, soft quilts; some like flatter, closely quilted quilts. Each person is "right". I love hearing everyone's opinions and ideas, as it really helps me come up with better ideas for my own quilting.

How the quilt is going to be used also matters. For a show quilt, the quilter is showing her quilting skills as much as she's showing her piecing skills. For a much-loved, much-washed quilt, it needs to be quilted pretty close to keep everything in place. For a quilt that's only going to be used as a decoration, the quilting can either be much fancier or much farther apart. Once again, each method is "right".

I guess different strokes.

I like my quilts to be soft and comfy, so I never do the the tight quilting and meandering. I suppose if it's a quilt that you want to hang as a wall hanging, then the tight quilting would look perfect.

I also do very simple free hand quilting so my sewing is the main object you see, some folks like the fancy quilting on their work so it's the quilting you see....so everyone has a preference as to what they like.

When I quilt a quilt that has applique, I love the look of densely quilted background, as the applique pieces really stand out! I also think a densely quilted quilt lays flatter. I do other pieced quilts less densely, and they are a bit more comfy to cuddle under, that's for sure!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Oh this is funny!! Once my young son said to me "Mom, quilts are cold" !!!
    I almost fell over laughing. I explained to him that you usually need more than one to get all snuggly and I gave hime a couple of others.
    Most of my quilts are cotton batted, not quilted to death, but not as warm, so we use lots of them :D
    LOL, see we still have our sense of humor!!

I've quilted some of my quilts very densely - because that was the look I was going for. Quilts I did when I first started quilting were mainly stitch in the ditch or outlined. I try to match the quilting to the quilt, but also like trying new techniques. Quilting is an art form and as anything else in art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Blog Entries
    Nope, no flame thrower here. I think there is a place for either type of quilting. Right now I am in a quilting class and I am learning to do the stipples and meanders and realized that my favorite batting (warm and natural) will not work for any "overquilting." So I am in search of a new batting (silk or wool).

I, too, prefer a loosely quilted quilt, if it's supposed to be a functional quilt. If it's a wall hanging or just for show, than I like it to be quilted tight.

My son said something similar once. About quilts being cold. But he had a different take on it. He was sick at the time with a fever, and about 14 I think. He said he loved his gramma's quilts because they start off cold, which feels good when you have a temp, but then warmed up, just like a hug from Gramma. I don't think he meant that his gramma was a cold person, but she liked being outside a lot, in the garden or where ever, and she did have cold skin when she came in.

Our fall fair judge wrote on some entries that there should be no space larger then your hand in your quilt that wasn't quilted. She seemed to think that a quilt not quilted densely enough would eventually fall apart. This has not been my experience and I have definately found that quilts not quilted quite so closely are more cuddly. Some of the newer types of batting even say that your quilting lines may be up to 10 inches apart. If you are trying to win prizes at shows it seems that dense quilting is mandatory to have any chance of a ribbon. It all comes back to your preferences as a quilter and the ultimate purpose of the quilt. The heirloom wedding quilt may need more quilting than the couch quilt that your son and dog snuggle under.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate looking at heavily quilted items, but I prefer less quilting for a bed/lap/utiltiy quilts :D:D:D

I appreciate the wonderful quilting from the professional and talented quilters in shows. I keep my quilting simple, mostly because it's what I can do. I consider the use the quilt is likely to be put to when deciding how dense to stitch. I use a tied quilt on my bed and it is so soft and cozy. I never saw a quilt I didn't like.

The Quilt Store I go to when I go to town has a bunch of quilts on display. All of the quilts are heavily quilted and very flat. The only batting I have seen in the store for sale is pellon on a bolt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    Believe some with heavier quilting are more like art quilts, as opposed to utilitarian bed quilts used for warmth.....Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    There are no "bad" questions or opinions. Just differences.
    I quilt depending on the use of the quilt. If it's a cuddle quilt that needs to be cozy and warm, I quilt further apart than if it is an art quilt where the actual stitching is part of the artistic process. It's like comparing apples to oranges, they're totally different.
    My mantra is "There are no quilt police" and thank God there aren't!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast