Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
at the risk of being shot down in flames!!! >

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I appreciate looking at heavily quilted items, but I prefer less quilting for a bed/lap/utiltiy quilts :D:D:D
Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 PM

I appreciate the wonderful quilting from the professional and talented quilters in shows. I keep my quilting simple, mostly because it's what I can do. I consider the use the quilt is likely to be put to when deciding how dense to stitch. I use a tied quilt on my bed and it is so soft and cozy. I never saw a quilt I didn't like.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:21 PM

The Quilt Store I go to when I go to town has a bunch of quilts on display. All of the quilts are heavily quilted and very flat. The only batting I have seen in the store for sale is pellon on a bolt.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
Believe some with heavier quilting are more like art quilts, as opposed to utilitarian bed quilts used for warmth.....Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:30 PM

There are no "bad" questions or opinions. Just differences.
I quilt depending on the use of the quilt. If it's a cuddle quilt that needs to be cozy and warm, I quilt further apart than if it is an art quilt where the actual stitching is part of the artistic process. It's like comparing apples to oranges, they're totally different.
My mantra is "There are no quilt police" and thank God there aren't!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

i quilt according to the batting requirements so if a batting says it has to be quilted up to every 2" then i have no choice but to quilt quite heavily, but when i've used good quality batting even with close quilting when the quilt is washed and dried it fluffs up and is soft. and if you use wool batting it really fluffs! it all depends on the quilt and the batting for me, i've never had a stiff/hard ; cold quilt. mine are all soft, fluffy and warm.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM
RST

I like heavy quilting, and my experience is that my quilts are still nice and cuddly and warm. They drape nicely, and are not at all stiff.

To me, a poofy, loose and saggy quilt is kind of sad looking. I always wonder why someone who lavished so much time and attention on excellent piecing would not want to accent that work with the final step, the part that actually makes it a "quilt" and not a "pieced work coverlet"-- excellent quilting. And STD 10 inches apart just can not float my boat.

RST
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 PM

I honestly never gave it much thought. I have seen pictures of very heavily quilted quilts, very impressed by the work and skill it takes to make those look that way.

I guess because I don't intend for anything I make to be something that special I align myself more to some nice swirls and a few pretty feather patterns and call it done. :-)

I think it was a very good question for you to ask, btw.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM

If we all liked the same kind of quilting, our quilts would look alike and where would be the fun in that? I have noticed over the last couple of years that I have developed an appreciation for the different styles of quilting after seeing pictures on this board and reading comments about them. For example, someone had posted a pic of a quilt that was all right angles, but quilted it with a circular pattern. To my inexperienced point of view, that seemed to 'fight' with the piecing. But someone wrote in a comment that the circular quilting gave movement and softness to the blocks, and all of a sudden that made sense!

What I prefer today is probably not what I'll prefer tomorrow, but that's what keeps this quilting fun!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by amma
I appreciate looking at heavily quilted items, but I prefer less quilting for a bed/lap/utiltiy quilts :D:D:D
Same here