View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
catrancher

A friend recently sent me an email telling me she'd purchased a kit and asked me if I'd make it for her husband. Geez. I hate this. I didn't feel as if I could say no because she'd already purchased a kit! I told her the soonest I could get to it would be next spring.

When I make something for someone it's because I found something that makes me think of them, and therefore, I'm inspired to make it--and I want to make it. For her to purchase a kit (which I don't like) and ask me to make it for her husband (whom I don't like), is extremely irritating.

Her husband sent me an email a while back asking me to make him a queen-sized quilt and he was very specific about what he wanted. I told him it would be at least a couple of years before I could get to it, and also told him how much the fabric would cost, how much the quilting would cost. I estimated a quilt this size would cost somewhere on the order of $400 (and that didn't include my time). I told him to think about it, and let me know. Needless to say, I didn't hear from him again.

Now, I'm stuck doing this project that I don't want to do. It's a small project--only 8 x 10, but I'm still irritated at her presumptuousness. So, I'm curious. What would you have done in this situation--specifically, with the prepurchased kit. I want to be ready if it happens again.