View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i had a co-worker say to me a few days ago...i have a friend who wants you to make her a quilt for christmas...a queen sized one, i told her about the one you made for your sil and now she wants one...she's even willing to pay like a hundred bucks for it.
my response? first there is no way i can add another queen size quilt to my list before christmas, secondly, even if she furnished all of the fabrics, batting and thread i would not even look at making a queen size quilt for someone i don't even know for less than $500 ... and it would be more like a thousand;$1500 if i have to buy everything...and i need a 75% deposit to cut a piece of fabric.... she had no more to say about it. the reason she got the response she did was multi-faceted...first the one i made my sil i told this co=worker was very expensive to make...i have $500 into it ... i told her at the time...there are 22 pineapple blocks and i will probably never make another pineapple block...too time consuming and tedious; i told her that i have been swamped with quilting lately and do not know how i'm going to finish my own projects this year...too many outside things going on lately...
and she says to me ... well, i was just trying to help. ??? help with what i'm not quite sure of. i haven't sold any size quilt for less than $100 in years, i really don't know what she is thinking; or why she thought this was helping me somehow...i did sell this co-worker's daughter 2 quilts about 4 years ago, and i care about this girl and gave her a good deal...but they were smaller than twins and still over $100. anyway...when it comes to doing this sometimes you really have to just say no...or tell them it will cost way more than they ever imagined...when i told her more like a thousand she said...thats a joke right? i said no it is not a joke, my black appliqued quilt was appraised for $3700 and my neutrals crazy quilt for $5400 i do not make cheap quilts. if you want to place a quilt order i require a deposit and we have to set down and go over exactly what you want...and the deposit in non-refundable!
yup...bi***y... i've had so much going on lately i guess i really have no patience left...
when approached with projects i really do not want to do, like yours i do tell people i charge $20 an hour for any sewing...with a 2 hour minimum...so it is going to cost a minimum of $40 no matter what it is ...even hemming a pair of pants...my way of avoiding having to do those projects...although it does amaze me the people actually willing to pay...........