View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by wildyard
Is a Simplicity #30516 First Fashions LockStitcher considered a "real" sewing machine? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter, but her parents aren't thrilled with the idea of having to help her use it as neither of them sew. I only see her a couple of weeks a year as we live several states apart. She is 7. I don't know if she could manage this machine with just a few lessons from me or if it's really just inappropriate anyway.
Any thoughts you'd like to share out there?
Consider this, until a child is about 10 or 11, they probably don't have the mechanical skills (dexterity) to sew effectively, and for long and involved instructions they also do not have the attention span. Teaching her all the hand skill on the other hand including some embroidery skills will prepare her for the day when she will be able to control a real machine. The acid test on a machine for me is the rate at which the controller starts. So many of them jump start (because the motors really don't have enough power to go at a lower speed) which in turn causes unwanted things to happen with the sewing seam. So many of the cheaper white plastic machines just don't have what it takes to be a good investment. I would wait a while and then buy a better machine, or an older one in good running condition which in the long run are simpler to use.