View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by krisgray
About time any cost of fabric: gave one of my first quilts to a 4 year old nephew for Xmas gift and DH said, "is that all? he needs something else." While I think he meant that a 4 year old wants toys rather than a quilt - I had to remind him just how much I spent at the LQS on that quilt. My nephew is now 6 and was impressed with a little bag I made his younger sister for her birthday - i.e. that I MADE it (his mother doesn't sew)- so he may get a couple of pillow cases this year.
Unfortunately, youngsters seldom realize the time and work and love that goes into a handmade item like a quilt. I got my first one when I was a newlywed in my 20's and even then I did not appreciate what it represented, however I always took care of it since it came from my husbands favorite Aunt, now that quilt is over 50 years old. My grandmother made quilts for each of my sons (3) and they were between the ages of 10 and 19 and I gave them to the sons, 2 of the 3 quilts have survived to today, and the third had the misfortune to be involved in a divorce, need I say more?