Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Think Like Me

As I read the various topics, I realize many quilters give their quilts away. Unless someone would ask me and discuss the colors they would like, I hesitate to sew items that the recipent might not like. I have a friend who lovingly made a quilt for a relative and later found it on the cement outside with oil and dirt from a car. I would not want to put all the time and money needed to sew a quilt and and come to realize the person really did not like it nor will they use it.

I am finishing a quilt for my GD and one for her sister.(They showed me with colored pictures what their favorite colors are.) Everying else I have sewed which is not a lot, I have kept.

Blog Entries
    I have to say that the relative that did that would never get another gift from me.

Blog Entries
    I would only make them for people who I know will love and appreciate them. I made one for my MIL and she loves it so much she draped it over the back of her couch ever so carefully and doesn't want to actually use it. I told her to use it-that it's washable and everything! Even gave her a box of color catchers. I have a feeling it's 'only for decoration' at her house.

But it sure makes me think about how careful I'd be to choose the recipients of my quilts.

Blog Entries
    it would be nice to know someones favorite colors..but i make them when the mood strikes me, and have someone in mind for them...usually someone who is sick or needs a pick me up..
    sad a quilt would end up on the ground like that..but God honors the giving, not what happens to it after it leaves your hands, no mattern what it is.
    i have a hard time with those that put the quilt up,so it won't get dirty or worn.. and no one uses it to cuddle in!

while I don't care if a quilt is used as a picnic blanket, the oil catcher would make me stop and think. I have ever so slightly asked my mom what colors she would want in a quilt for her water bed. she said that she would be too worried to use it because of the dog and two cats. at least she cares enough to want to take care of it. but I don't think that I will be making a king size quilt for her for a long time.

Blog Entries
    I think about their colors, and the style of quilts that would appeal to them, tradional? contemporary?
    Also, I ask if they would even like one... I wouldn't care for some abstract art pieces that I have seen, so I don't expect everyone to like a quilt either :D:D:D

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I have to say that the relative that did that would never get another gift from me.
    And would be shot at dawn!:hunf:
    Jan in VA

I started making quilts for my sister in laws kids that were having babies left & right...Not one of them ~ 4...said thank you. Nor have I ever seen them with the quilts. So I have decided no more for them. I'll start making them for MY grandbabies to be. I did make some cute Halloween things for a really good friend and saw it out on the porch wet and covered in mud. It hurt my feelings that something I took such pleasure in making JUST for her was treated like a piece of trash. I'm very cautious..about who I give things to now.

I always ask if there is a special color combo or pattern they may like. I haven't had anyone not use the quilts I make.

If I didn't give my quilts away rather freely, they'd be so piled up I wouldn't be able to get in and out the door. I don't spend all that much time worrying about the what ifs.

Blog Entries
    I have only give away a few quilts and they were mostly for babies. I would love to know that the quilts I give are used and loved. But as an oil catcher, that would be the last one someone ever got from me.

I am making a couple quilts as a request from my DD for her inlaws. If they do or don't use them, I will be okay with it. I know I have been guilty of not using a handmade item for fear of messing it up. I am making a quilt for my sister but she requested one. I hope she will use it and let it have lots of tender loving wear, as I hope all my quilts would get.

My little grandson drags his quilts all over the house. He will get one when he is sleepy and drag it to you. He loves to be rocked to sleep with a quilt over him. Makes my heart swell up when he does that.

If I want to make a quilt for someone, I find out the colors they like. Other times, I just make a quilt because I like the pattern and want to do it. It will stay on my quilt rack until someone sees it and falls in love with it. Then I will give it to them. You can tell when someone really likes it or if they are just being kind. I don't want to make a quilt for someone to go with anything, like the bedroom or such. I just want them to use it to knock around with - take it on a picnic, or lay on the couch covered with it, that kind of thing. If I made it to go with something, they might feel obligated to use it in a place they really don't want to.

Blog Entries
    When I finish a quilt it's immediately claimed by one of my DDs or granddaughter. I keep thinking they'll have more then they need at some point.

I haven't given away too many, & am very careful who I give one to. I don't make huge bed quilts either. Mostly lap size, or smaller. That would hurt my feelings too, that, or knowing it was put away & never used. Like some have said, I would try to find out colors, likes & dislikes, or if they even like quilts. I also have said, if someone came to visit & feel in love with one of my quilts, I would probably give it to them, later as a gift,if not right then, or make them one like it. It makes me sick when people mistreat hand made treasures, no matter who made them....

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    When I finish a quilt it's immediately claimed by one of my DDs or granddaughter. I keep thinking they'll have more then they need at some point.
    Ditto, my two girls always claim the ones I'm working on!!

I keep much of what I make, but when I make a piece, I only do so with a lot of knowledge of the recipient's tastes. I also only do it if I know ahead of time that the recipient values quilts and has some understanding of the work they take to make. Of course, now that I made one for my MIL (who knows a lot about quilts but doesn't quilt herself) I have been guilted into making one for my DM, who doesn't care a hoot about quilts, but wants one because I made one for my MIL.

I would be careful who I make them for, or give them away knowing full well that the recipient may not be as grateful as we might like him or her to be. In short, give them away for you, not for the recipient's sake.

I've been pretty lucky. So far, my kids and 3 brothers have been recipients and all have been thrilled. But I have thought very hard on what I think they would like before I start. It also has to be something that appeals to me to put that much time and work into it.

I make quilts with then knowledge that the recipent may or may not like my quilt. I made one that I could not stand but my husband thought was amazing. The family that received it wrap themselves in it every night so they can feel like their son/brother is giving them a hug. I would say make a few quilts from scraps you get to make a "free" quilt that when you give it away you won't have that much of an attatchment to it. Not so say that I wont' buy new fabric but with the amount of quilts that I make and give away I have to choose to believe that the ones getting my quilts are is such a need that they cherish it more than someone who has everything they want/need and doesn't appreciate a homemade quilt.

Blog Entries
    I made my two grandchildren I Spy quilts and they loved them when I gave them to them. Later on we were visiting them and they were chilly. I said they should get out their quilts. I was told that their dad (my SIL) wouldn't let them use them. Go figure. Needless to say, he's not exactly my favorite person!!

Oh, I feel your pain! Though to a lesser degree, I am sure. I was visiting my brother and sister-in-law once and when I was using the "facilities" that were under construction I spied a handknitted flower face cloth I had gifted the previous Christmas wadded in a corner covered with dried on caulk! I'm sure it was my brother who grabbed the cloth as a "rag", but in my book they are not "worthy" of handmade items. I may reevaluate in a few years!

I don't give to random people...I'm making a quilt for my mother in law for Christmas. It's in colours I know she likes and uses in her home. I also know it will be cared for, impeccably. And loved immeasurably. Because she is that kind of woman. I won't make a large quilt (like the one for my MIL) for just anyone. I know that the quilts I give away are no longer mine and I'm not terribly bothered by what might happen to them once it's out of my hands...but I only try to make things (anything, not just quilts...I make a bunch of stuff!) for people that I don't think will appreciate or understand the work put into it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    And would be shot at dawn!:hunf:
    Jan in VA
    Right on Jan!

I usually ask, or if it's a surprise gift ask a family member about colour choices before making a gift quilt. If I can, I get a look at what else they have in their house to get an idea of their taste. So far - no oil catchers.

Be careful committing yourself on color. For their 25th anniversary I made a new kingsize for DH's DB + SIL, to replace their wedding quilt which had been on the bed. I asked for color preference, and haven't been able to sew red violet or purple since then! (The previous quilt, also king, was a color challenge, 40% my least-favorite color...)
    On the other hand, MIL wouldn't let the cat into the bedroom and willed the handquilted king I made to DD.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I don't worry so much that they would throw it away or not use it, but that they would feel OBLIGATED to use it when they really didn't like it. Lately I've been making stuff for ME ME ME, but I don't think I'd ever put so much time into something unless I've a) visited their home and seen not just their colors but what's "missing" from their decor or b) for a kid that's something a kid would also love, like trains or Dora or princesses or some such. Temporary use for a kid is OK with me. For newborns, I don't make the quilt until I know the nursery decor - not just the color, but the theme.

I try to choose fabrics carefully if giving something as a gift. I generally know the recipient's likes. That said I am so done making anything for my oldest DD. I made her a bag as a gift after she got engaged on the top of the Eiffel tower. I used black and white fabric with the Eiffel tower on it and searched until I found a coordinate that very closely matched the main fabric. The bag turned out beautifully but on opening it she said "I guess I can store junk in it." :?

She had said she would like a wall hanging. I was in the process of making the one in my avatar for a co-worker's wedding present. I asked if she would like one similar to it and she said it was too "old fashioned". So I went with a modern design and fabrics. She was not very excited when I gave it to her and when she was showing me around her new house I noticed it thrown in her junk closet. :( I noticed a couple of quilts displayed around the house. They were made by her new MIL.

Mostly things I have made are loved and used. Live and learn. This Christmas she gets a store bought sweater. Never again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast